What's your ice cream standard--vanilla? mint chip? We melt for cookies and cream. So it was an easy choice when we handed over the last of our tickets at OC Tastefest for dessert. Of course, our preconceived notions of how Lola's Cookie Monster would taste would be greatly exceeded by the end of our cone.
Lola isn't a showgirl, but a nondescript storefront offering scoops and sammiches for a nominal fee (within an equally nondescript strip mall in Fountain Valley) where we find sweet surrender.
We're handed a delightful mash-up of cool. Sure, there's the trademark O-R-E-O. But along for the ride are fudgy and Famous Amos varietals. The results look like they used an immersion blender in the cookie jar--not that we're complaining, though. The mix of dark and light crumbles sparks our interest with each bite, and the cone crunches wonderfully, maintaining its structural integrity--no drippy mess like with what happens with too many drumsticks.
Cookie Monster is a welcome neighbor in the frozen treat lineup. When the sun is beating down like a baseball bat, we'll be at Lola's--with no cherry cola, of course.
Lola's Ice Cream and Deli, 18030 Brookhurst Blvd, Fountain Valley; (714) 968-3981.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
The list so far:
87. Polenta Board at CUCINA Enoteca
88. Falafel Taco at Taco Asylum
89. Wagon-Wheel Bread at THE RANCH Restaurant
90. Toothpick Tacos at Mexico Supermarket
91. Hoppin' John at Memphis at the Santora
92. Free Beans and Chips at Taqueria Zamora
93. Pig in a Blanket Waffle with Gringo Bandito at Cafe Calacas
94. "Pork Hash" at Huong Giang
95. Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadilla At Kogi
96. Licuados at Mil Jugos
97. Hawaiian Ahi Poke at California Fish Grill
98. Takoyaki at Takoyaki Tanota
99. Fiesta Noodles at Jollibee
100. Chilaquiles Verdes Con Huevos Estrellados at La Tablita California