No. 80, Bulgogi and Potato Pizza at Chicken & Pizza Love Letter
Even T.G.I. Friday's sells Korean short rib tacos these days, so it's not really a surprise that someone, somewhere would put bulgogi on a pizza, too. Chicken & Pizza Love Letter, hidden in a corner of the maze-like H Mart, is known for their super-crunchy, massive chicken wings, but it's a surprising pizza that shouldn't be skipped.
The sweet and savory marinated beef bursts through cheesy bites like fireworks, with peppery little pork meatballs showing up in a supporting role. Corn, red onion and parsley add fresh contrast, with soft hunks of potato drizzled in a mayo-based white sauce making for a mellow finish. A thin layer of neutral tomato sauce provides a canvas for so many bold flavors at once.
The crust most resembles CPK, but this pizza is far beyond any California fusion sold there. The only knock is the amount of bulgogi used--it makes an entrance, but doesn't stay long enough to party. A small ding, but one that holds this one back from true greatness.
The list so far:
81. Braised Bacon at Break of Dawn
82. Cake Donut at Cream Pan
83. Bistec de Pollo at Mercado El Rey
84. The Rhino at Rancho a Go Go
85. Cabernet Brownies at Blackmarket Bakery
86. Cookie Monster at Lola Ice Cream and Deli
87. Polenta Board at CUCINA Enoteca
88. Falafel Taco at Taco Asylum
89. Wagon-Wheel Bread at THE RANCH Restaurant
90. Toothpick Tacos at Mexico Supermarket
91. Hoppin' John at Memphis at the Santora
92. Free Beans and Chips at Taqueria Zamora
93. Pig in a Blanket Waffle with Gringo Bandito at Cafe Calacas
94. "Pork Hash" at Huong Giang
95. Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadilla At Kogi
96. Licuados at Mil Jugos
97. Hawaiian Ahi Poke at California Fish Grill
98. Takoyaki at Takoyaki Tanota
99. Fiesta Noodles at Jollibee
100. Chilaquiles Verdes Con Huevos Estrellados at La Tablita California
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.