Five Reasons Not to Miss HARD DOTD 2014
HARD DOTD 2013
Courtesy of Rukes.com
One of the biggest party weekends of the year is finally upon us and you know dance music enthusiasts love to stretch this holiday out like it's nobody's business. With so many EDM shows at nightclubs and festivals starting tonight until Sunday, it makes you wonder. Is everyone calling in sick on Monday?
Regardless, we put together this convenient list to give you five reasons why you shouldn't sleep on this years massive HARD Day of the Dead festival, which takes place at a new Pomona Fairplex location on Saturday November 1 and 2. The only thing you need to worry about is what creepy costume you're going to wear nightly.
5. ZHU's First US Appearance As if artists like Calvin Harris, Knife Party, Pretty Lights, Bassnectar, Diplo and Zedd weren't enough for you, HARD is stepping up their line up game by bringing ZHU to the festival's HARDer Stage. The mysterious Steven Zhu has been making waves with his hit "Faded" and performed for the first time in late September at Listen Out in Australia debuting custom stage production. This marks his first North American live debut after his The Nightday EP dropped and he took the internet by storm with his "Moves Like Ms Jackson" mash-up earlier this year. A can't-miss for any dance music lover.
HARD fans in their DOTD costumes
4. Day of the Dead Costumes Dia de los Muertos is a Mexican holiday celebrating the lives of the deceased on October 31 through November 2. Traditions include building altars and offerings, using sugar skulls, marigolds and the dead's favorite foods and drinks to bring to their graves. The holiday has become extremely popular in L.A. and participants are going all out with their costumes. We're hoping this helps EDM fans stray away from the usual "sexy" costumes and be more creative with their interpretation of the holiday. If that's not enough, HARD is giving fans a PLUR make-up station to help you with your finishing touches.
3. Discovering New Music The best part about going to these events is discovering new music and HARD is making sure your broadening your horizons if you take a step away from the basic main stage. Dirtybird Records is closing it's 2014 BBQ series at DOTD with Claude VonStroke's usual suspects such as Eats Everything, J.Phlip, Shiba San and a special treat by Cajmere. Likewise, RL Grime will host his own VOID Stage (named after his debut album due out next month) with Cam'ron alongside Cashmere Cat, Rustie, Branchez, Djemba Djemba and more. Plus did we mention hip hop's Ty Dolla $ign will also make his HARD debut?
The HARD Ferris Wheel
Courtesy of Rukes.com
2. Zip Lining Attractions This year's HARD Day of the Dead gets to make use of the Pomona Fairplex, home to the LA County Fair. Where else can you ride a zip line into the HARD arena and enter the fest in style? Not to mention it's probably much more affordable than a helicopter ride into EDC. If arriving flying high above the crowds isn't enough there's also the Century Ferris Wheel to give you an epic view of the grounds and the Typhoon ride to get the thrill seekers going before you take over the dance floor.
1. Mau5-Ville Stage If you missed Deadmau5 and Eric Prydz's back to back set in Miami this year, here is your chance to catch a taste of the progressive house meets techno goodness. There's a reason why it's the most scheduled set on the official HARD Day of the Dead app. They are hosting their own mau5ville stage on Saturday in accordance to their own respected labels and closing it out with a special b2b set. Danny Daze, Jeremy Olander, Alesia, Eekkoo and Klangkarussell live will be showing you a thing or two about house music as they warm up for the grand finale.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Orange County, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.