Five Best Local EDM Artists of 2013
2013 had all the elements of a great year for electronic dance music: older acts making a comeback, duos crossing genres and progressing their sound, and clubs all over OC catering to the EDM aficionado crowds. But who were the local taste makers making moves right here in your own backyard? We picked our five best local DJs and producers of 2013 making a serious name for themselves in our small, but exponentially growing dance music community. From household names to the cream of the crop check out who made the cut.
Courtesy of Myndset
5. Myndset This mysterious DJ known for wearing a Storm Trooper-esque mask is actually a UCI graduate who has lived all over Orange County. With 15 years of experience as a true turntablist, Myndset is a lover of vinyl and a memorable performer when he gets behind the decks. With blogs taking note of his remixes, mix-tapes and various tracks he's grown a heavy fan base online as well as at his infamous shows. His shows sell out all over the States (particularly in San Francisco) and when he plays in OC it's a treat for everyone. Never forgetting where he started (he used to be a club DJ spinning hip-hop here), Myndset brings a fresh take on electro house like on his latest release with Wild Boyz! titled "Swerve." Not to mention keeping fans wondering who the guy behind the mask really is.
Courtesy of Alex Dreamz
4. Alex Dreamz This Anaheim native has been playing dance music on 102.7 KIIS FM for years now even before it was "mainstream." Born Alex Becerra, he went from an XS resident in Las Vegas to having his own number one rated mix show through his company and website clubkillers.com where he mentors DJs and producers from all over the world and posts a weekly podcast. You can hear him live on KIIS every Friday night from 10pm to 2am where he's been dropping Afrojack tracks long before he was nominated for a Grammy. He currently does a monthly "House of Dreamz" night at the Yost Theater in Santa Ana and most recently broadcast his Friday night show live on KISS FM from the Yost.
Courtesy of Sex Panther
3. Sex Panther Aaron "Cool," a Newport Beach native, meet Ryan Fontana by chance at Guitar Center and the two instantly connected and joined forces to create Sex Panther. Named after the infamous Anchorman cologne, the two exude a life of the party attitude as they pour shots down fans throats and bring an insane amount of energy into their progressive electro house sets. In just two years they've held residencies at different cities all over the US, toured Asia, Brazil and Mexico. They also made their Coachella debut in 2013 at the Heineken Dome where it seemed all of their OC fanbase was present. They've been cranking out their own original productions including their recent "Hold On" with well known EDM vocalist Zashanell which has garnered over 100,000 plays on Soundcloud. Finding the key to making it big in EDM the duo works hard, but definitely plays harder.
Courtesy of Norin & Rad
2. Norin & Rad Four years after their inception Bruce Karlsson and Nick Sember who were discovered by our trance heroes Above & Beyond - are proud members of the Anjunabeats family touring all over the world. From New York's Roseland Ballroom to India's Jayamahal Palace the guys are bringing a progressive OC spin on trance and EDM worldwide. Along with their famous label mates like Mat Zo, Andrew Bayer, Matt Lange and Maor Levi they've played every major festival like Creamfields UK, Tomorrowland, Electric Zoo, EDC and Ultra. They show no signs of slowing down from their numerous hit singles to their recent collaboration with Andrew Bayer as Artificial with their first release titled "Prototype." They've provided young OC dwellers the perfect example of how to make it big. Produce, produce, produce!
Courtesy of Flinch
1. Flinch Adam Glassco is the proud member of the SMOG Records family alongside other drum & bass pioneers and dubstep prodigies such as 12th Planet. He has a catalog of tracks which includes collabs with artist like Dirtyphonics, Felguk, Infuze, Diplo, and with Ellie Goulding titled "You Don't Know." Not to mention as well as high profile friends in the dubstep community such as Skrillex and Caspa. The Midway City resident (near Westminster) has been rocking parties at Detroit Bar with Sonny back when no one even knew who he was. Today, he tours the world with his SMOG fam and has played all over from New York City's Webster Hall, WMC in Miami to Australia. Flinch has been a pioneer in the bass community and can play everything from UK funk, dub, moombahton, techno, garage, dubstep to electro house like a true artist.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.