15 Things You Did Not Know About FALLOUT 3
With the release of Fallout: New Vegas, fans of the post-apocalyptic RPG series will have enough gaming to last them for months. Similar to its predecessor, Fallout 3, the game will feature close to 100 hours of gameplay, large areas to explore, and a branching storyline that's better than most of the garbage that Hollywood churns out these days.
So you've explored every nook and cranny of the simulated Washington D.C. in Fallout 3, played through all of the DLC it had to offer, and even spent a few hours to decorate your little house just the way you want it. You must know every little detail about Fallout 3, right? Think again. So, to commemorate the launch of New Vegas, the following is a compilation of 15 pieces of
useless facts trivia that you probably didn't know about Fallout 3.
1. There are no ladders in the world of Fallout 3
Have you ever seen a single ladder anywhere within the world ofFallout 3
? Well, there aren't any. One of the gameplay features that developer Bethesda Softworks continues to cut from their games is the inclusion of ladders. The primary reason for not including ladders from Bethesda games such asElder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
is due to problems with character AI.
"Play our game; find a ladder that you can use. We don't have them", Fallout 3's Director Todd Howard admits.
2. The very first piece of Fallout 3 artwork is the one used on the game's cover
The very first piece of artwork was created by Lead Artist Istvan Pely in 2004. That very piece of artwork is the same one currently used as the game's cover artwork.
3. Development of Fallout 3 started before Oblivion was even announced.
Development ofFallout 3
began in 2004, before Bethesda Softworks even announced their previous game,The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
(announced mid-September 2004).
4. According to the fiction of Fallout 3, the bombs fell on October 23, which is supposed to be the game's release date.
Bethesda wanted to coincide the game's release date with the same day that the bombs attacked the U.S. according toFallout 3
's fiction. However, the game was released on October 28.
5. The bell that sounds after using the Fat Man Nuclear Catapult is the lunchroom bell at the Bethesda offices
6. The original inspiration for the V.A.T.S.combat system is Burnout's crash mode replays.
7. The audio clip of the 1-year old protagonist at the beginning of the game (who says "Da Da") is from Jake Howard, the son of game director Todd Howard.
The sound clip is that of baby Jake Howard on his 1st birthday.
8. The sound effect from the VATS system is the same sound that was used at the beginning and end of combat in the original Fallout.
9. Artist Grant Struthers prototyped the VATS combat system by filming his Incredibles action figures fighting
10. When a Mister Gutsy robot is killed, what he says are lines from the marching chant from the movie "Full Metal Jacket".
11. The mayor of Little Lamplight Caverns is named Mayor MacCready. This is a reference to the protagonist of the movie "The Thing"
12. At one point in the game's development, Fallout 3 featured a surgery mini-game to repair broken limbs
However, the development team felt as if this would slow down the game's pace too much, and opted for the faster healing system that is currently used.
13. The password for the shipping manifest terminals in the Nuka-Cola Factory is "NCC1864". This is the registration of USS Reliant from "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan".
14. The cars in Fallout 3 are based on the Ford Nucleon, which is a concept car designed to run on a nuclear generator in the 1950s.
15. You can go cow tipping in Fallout 3!
If you sneak up and press the activation button near a Brahmin, your character will tip it over. But you'd never do such a thing, would you?
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Orange County, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.