The best road trips are usually the most improvised. (It's about the journey, not the destination, right?) That being said, there's still time to plan an impromptu trip this Labor Day. We think these music videos will inspire you to grab a friend, or two, or five--so that the cost of gas is cheaper--and hit the road! We even provided travel suggestions based on each video. Consider this a jump-start to your playlist, and don't forget to send a postcard!
10. Mazzy Star - "Fade Into You" Suggested destination: Desert Hot Springs, California This song made us fall in love with road trips before we even had a driver's licenses.
9. Depeche Mode - "Dream On" Suggested destination: Roswell, New Mexico We would definitely not approach a wayward extraterrestrial vamp chilling on the side of the road. Just sayin'.
8. The Smashing Pumpkins - "Today" Suggested destination: Downey, California An ice cream truck seems like an ideal road trip vehicle. Make friends/money along the way! (Just remember to get a permit).7. Audioslave - "Show Me How to Live"
Suggested destination: Death Valley National Park We don't recommend emulating the 'Smokey and the Bandit' stunts seen in this video.
6. astronomyy - "Nothin On My Mind" Suggested destination: Catalina Island No car? No problem. Use your skateboard.
5. Whitesnake - "Here I Go Again" Suggested destination: New York, New York Be sure to gyrate provocatively on the hood of your car before hitting the freeway with this 80s anthem.
4. The Cardigans - "My Favourite Game" Suggested destination: Reno, Nevada We hope this video serves as a PSA for the dangers of reckless driving.3. Geggy Tah - "Whoever You Are"
Suggested destination: San Francisco, California This retro throwback examines the joys of driving. (We doubt these guys would be as jovial during rush hour).
2. Queens Of The Stone Age - "Go With The Flow" Suggested destination: Palm Springs, California Go-go girls, guitars and... flying sperm? Sounds like a good road trip to us.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. Aerosmith - "Crazy" Suggested destination: The Grand Canyon We had to reserve the #1 position for this '90s rendition of 'Thelma and Louise.'