Over the past two days we heard from our subject, Timothy Kast, the executive chef partner at Seasons 52 in South Coast Plaza. Today we conclude with a recipe from the chef.
Otherwise, read on.
ROASTED AUTUMN SQUASH WITH SPICED CIDER GLAZE
For Roasted Autumn Squash
1 acorn squash or other squash variety (butternut, delicata)
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch black pepper, fresh ground
• Preheat oven to 425° F.
• Wash squash in cold water.
• Cut squash in half.
• Scrape out all seeds with large kitchen spoon.
• Cut squash into wedges (if using delicata, cut into rings or disks)
• Place squash pieces in a large bowl and season with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper.
• Stand squash cut-side up on tray.
• Season again with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
• Roast in oven for 30 to 45 minutes, until squash is tender and caramelized.
• Cook time will vary based on squash type and how big you cut the pieces.
• During roasting time, turn tray twice and drizzle squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil each time.
• Remove from oven and brush squash with spiced glaze (see recipe below).
For Spiced Cider Glaze
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
¼ cup apple cider
¼ cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup orange blossom honey
1 tablespoon chipotle tabasco
1 teaspoon ginger, fresh, minced
Pinch black peppercorns, whole
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 cinnamon sticks, split
4 star anise
Fresh mint leaves (if desired)
• Combine all ingredients in small, non-corrosive sauce pan.
• Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to simmer for 5 minutes over low heat; then turn off. Allow to steep for 5 more minutes.
• Drizzle hot glaze over roasted squash wedges.
• Sprinkle with fresh torn mint leaves.
Seasons 52 at South Coast Plaza, 3333 Bristol Ave., Ste. 2802, Costa Mesa, (714) 437-5252; www.seasons52.com. Open Sun.-Thurs., 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m.; Fri.-Sat., 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Dinner for two, $50-$75, food only. Full bar.