Maria Sanchez of Los Chilangos
Elena and Maria Sanchez
The official grand opening of Los Chilangos is March 6 from noon to 3 p.m., with games, music, gifts and food. Call 714-999-5515 (English or Spanish) for details.
1. Dish you cook that most represents you.
Tlacoyos, or maybe pambazos, the real authentic food of Mexico City.
2. What was the last meal you had at home?
3. Your favorite restaurant (other than yours):
Ostionería Bahía, on Chapman in Orange.
4. Fast food guilty pleasure:
5. Complete this sentence: I would like to [verb] [Food Network star] with [noun]. (for example: "I would like to BEAT BOBBY FLAY with A STALE BAGUETTE." or "I would like to SHOWER GIADA DE LAURENTIIS with FLOWERS"):
I've watched the Food Network, but not often enough to know any of the stars. Sorry!
6. Last meal of your life, what would it be?
Escargots with butter and garlic.
7. Items you always have in your refrigerator:
8. Your most indispensable kitchen tool or appliance:
A tortilla press, for making tortillas and quesadillas.
9. If an Anglo who'd only ever been to Taco Bell and Acapulco walked in, what would you recommend?
Quesadilla de huitlacoche.
9A. Would you tell him what it is?
I think I'd call it corn and mushrooms. When I tell people what it is, only about 25 percent actually eat it. But it's so good.
10. Why Mexico City-style cuisine? Why not another combo-plate place?
We want to share a little of our culture with people who might not know it.
11. What kind of Mexican food would you love to have available around here?
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.