Felipe Hernandez Accused of Being Foster Children Rapist Who Later Adopted His Victims
A Santa Ana foster dad is reportedly accused of raping and sodomizing two girls brought under his and his wife's care that they later adopted. Police say they have photos and video evidence of the abuse, which began when one of the girls, now 15, was 9. A videotape allegedly shows 66-year-old Felipe Hernandez engaged in sex acts with the second girl, who is now 17.
KABC/Channel 7 news presented an "exclusive" Friday based on interviews with Santa Ana police, Orange County Social Services and Hernandez's stepdaughter, who reportedly says off camera from the accused's doorway that her mother believes the allegations are true, although the adult stepdaughter adds she was not abused.
Police Corporal Anthony Bertagna, the Santa Ana agency's spokesman, says on camera Hernandez faces multiple rape and abuse counts after an investigation that began last month when the 15-year-old told a school counselor about the nightmare she's been living since 2006. Detectives are also trying to determine whether Hernandez's wife should be arrested, according to Bertagna.
Three children have been removed from the house, including a third former foster kid the Hernandezes later adopted. Police have been led to believe the couple has been barred from taking in other foster children since last year. County Social Services Agency Director Michael Riley could not confirm that because welfare institution code forbids comment on individual cases.
As a rule, Riley's agency stops monitoring the welfare of foster children once they are adopted.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Orange County, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.