Award-winning investigative journalist Nick Schou is managing editor of OC Weekly. He is the author of Kill the Messenger: How the CIA’s Crack Cocaine Controversy Destroyed Journalist Gary Webb (Nation Books 2006), which provided the basis for the 2014 Focus Features release starring Jeremy Renner and the L.A. Times-bestseller Orange Sunshine: The Brotherhood of Eternal Love’s Quest to bring Peace, Love and Acid to the World, (Thomas Dunne 2009). He is also the author of The Weed Runners (2013) and Spooked: How the CIA Manipulates the Media and Hoodwinks Hollywood (2016).
- OC District Attorney’s Public Shaming of Johns Draws Likes and Dislikes from JohnTV "The original Video Vigilante" likes some things about Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas' recently implemented "public shaming" of those who buy the services of prostitutes. But Brian Bates also has some problems with an online page that features the names and mugshots of johns. Rackauckas […]
- Samuel Hunter's Rest Probes a Life More Ordinary Playwright Samuel Hunter's characters are ordinary people with ordinary problems: mortality, illness, loneliness, figuring out how to get from Point A to Point C with no idea where Point B is. But Hunter raises the ordinariness of his characters to extraordinary status. That's both a testament to his dramatic skill as well as […]
- Libyan Community Leader Joins OC Counterparts in Targeting Human Trafficking For the next four months, Vanguard University's Global Center for Women and Justice is hosting a Libyan community leader to strategize against human trafficking, learn how rampant it is in Orange County's Arab-speaking community and educate the same folks about it. ] OC Human Trafficking Statistics and Awareness […]
- Husband and Wife Abolitionists Talk Human Slavery Saturday in Anaheim Two veterans of the worldwide movement to end human trafficking will speak in Anaheim Saturday. Matt Friedman, the former regional project manager with the UN Inter-Agency Project on Human Trafficking (UNIAP) in Asia, and his wife Sylvia Yu, a Hong Kong-based Canadian journalist who was bestowed with the prestigious 2013 […]
- A Nation of Consumers Photo by Jack GouldSometimes I have to wonder: Am I a whiny liberal with so little faith in human goodness and intelligence that I think government has to tell everyone how to behave? What if conservatives are right that the marketplace is the ultimate voting booth and that competition—and unfettered American know-how—are the greatest […]
- [Moxley Confidential] We Don't Need No Stinking Badges We Don't Need No Stinking Badges Vanishing ethical impurities, bad math and more For years, I heard a constant refrain: Sheriff Mike Carona is a decent guy betrayed by scumbags with whom he naively chose to associate. Then Carona got indicted on public corruption charges by the feds, and the new line became "Yep, Carona and […]