“Loyalty, people who'd promote Mike Carona.”
–Former Orange County Assistant Sheriff Don Haidl testifying today in the federal bribery trial of ex-Sheriff Mike Carona and explaining that the “primary” qualification to be named a reserve deputy had nothing to do with law enforcement skills, ethics or training.
(R. Scott Moxley / OC Weekly)
R. Scott Moxley’s award-winning investigative journalism has touched nerves for two decades. An angry congressman threatened to break Moxley’s knee caps. A dirty sheriff promised his critical reporting was irrelevant and then landed in prison. Corporate crooks won’t take his calls. Murderous gangsters mad-dogged him in court. The U.S. House of Representatives debated his work. Pusillanimous cops have left hostile messages using fake names. Federal prosecutors credited his stories for the arrest of a doctor who sold fake medicine to dying patients. And a frantic state legislator literally caught sleeping with lobbyists sprinted down state capital hallways to evade his questions in Sacramento. Moxley has won Journalist of the Year honors at the Los Angeles Press Club and been named Distinguished Journalist of the Year by the LA Society of Professional Journalists.
- Mike Carona Corruption Trial Quote of the Day! "He would be the fucking sheriff of Orange County. They'd be, uh, he'd be riding fat. All he had to do was be a white guy about it." --Then-Sheriff Mike Carona speaking to a confidante without knowing he's being recorded during an August 2007 meeting and bitching that George Jaramillo, his onetime best friend and second in […]
- Carona Corruption Trial Quote Of The Day "A 'hubcap deal' was in regards to [then Sheriff Mike Carona's appointed assistant sheriff and best friend] George Jaramillo. A standing joke going way, way back [to 1998] while I was trying to control Jaramillo and Carona. George could be told that he would get a new car tomorrow and he'd steal it's hubcaps today. […]
- Quote of the Day in the Mike Carona Corruption Trial "I'm sure it's memorable." --Sassy defense lawyer Jeffrey Rawitz on a Newport Beach cop's recollections today about Orange County Assistant Sheriff George Jaramillo wearing a "Hawaiian shirt" over his uniform while trying to block a 2002 police investigation into the videotaped gang rape of an unconscious minor during a […]
- Mike Carona Corruption Trial Quote of the Day! "Unless they can figure out the conspiracy." --Then-Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona in a secretly recorded August 2007 conversation with multimillionaire Don Haidl on ways the FBI might be able to extend the criminal statute of limitations on him accepting bribes from five years to nine. (R. Scott Moxley / OC Weekly)
- Wednesday's Headlines N Surprises: Exclusive Carona Wiretap Transcript! Carona Should Resign? Absolutely not. There is no telling which clown would takeover from the cesspool that contains Carona’s upper management. Besides, as an investigative journalist, I’d mourn the loss of a character like Mike Carona sitting atop the sheriff’s department. Sure, he’s dirty. Yes, yes, he routinely tries to use the […]
- Want to Know How the Mike Carona Corruption Trial is Going? While Jeffrey Rawitz—a high-powered Jones Day defense lawyer for indicted ex-Sheriff Mike Carona—spent the day repeatedly asking already (repeatedly) asked and answered questions of Don Haidl, the government's resilient key witness, a back-row juror I've nicknamed "Sam Drucker" (a character on the 1960s TV show Petticoat […]