VIDEO: Fire Engulfs Customer At Table-Top BBQ Restaurant

Todd Barnes

Warning: the video linked below is disturbing, terrifying, the stuff that nightmares are made of--especially if you find Korean BBQs, Japanese yakinikus, Melting Pot, or any sort of eating that involves cooking, and/or heating your food on an open flame one of the joys in life.

Originally reported by Sina last week, the footage has already made the rounds on Chinese social media. It's a soundless security video which shows two customers at a table-top barbecue restaurant in Wenzhou, a city in the Zhejiang province of China. One of the customers gets up, presumably to complain that the table-top grill wasn't working. Then a waitress comes around with a water jug filled with fuel.

What happens next is the unthinkable.

Shanghaiist reports that the female customer, a 20-year-old college student,suffered burns on 78% of her body and is still in critical condition.

Is the video real? It certainly appears to be--and so very tragic.

Follow Stick a Fork In It on Twitter @ocweeklyfood or on Facebook! And don't forget to download our free Best Of App here!

Upcoming Events

Sponsor Content


All-access pass to the top stories, events and offers around town.

  • Top Stories


All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >