Two Upcoming Food/Wine/Art Events at the Shorebreak/Zimzala, Huntington Beach
First, this Sunday (from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.) is the inaugural 2nd Sunday bash at the hotel, featuring "fine wine, tasty nibbles, live music and stimulating art." Specifically, the booze is from Coppola Diamond Collection, the grub is from the hotel's own Zimzala restaurant, and the paintings are from the imaginatively named The Gallery. Artists include Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean fame, who paints exclusively for the gallery, and former Warner Bros animator Tina Schmidt.
The entry fee of $10 covers two wine tickets and a plate of food. All proceeds go to the city's Project Self Sufficiency, which aids low-income single parents. If you're interested, RSVP-call (714) 845-4835--then pay on the door.
You'll have to dig a bit deeper for the other shindig, Tapas & Tagines, to be held at Zimzala next Thursday, September 17. Tickets cost $75 but for that you get what sounds like a feast. Plus wine! Plus the chance to meet multiple James Beard Award-winner Joyce Goldstein! (Goldstein created the restaurant's menu of heavenly Med cuisine, along with Executive Chef Vinenct Muraco). For reservations call (714) 861-4470.
Full rundown after the jump...
7 p.m.: Cocktail reception and cookbook signing with Joyce Goldstein
8 p.m.: Seated dinner, served family style
... Followed by dessert and coffee reception on the deck
* Goat cheese, raisin and pine nut-filled piquillo peppers
* Ham and gruyère croquetas
* Grilled bread with crushed chickpeas and paprika
* Escalivada of eggplant, onions and peppers
* Albóndigas with two sauces
* Grilled shrimp with romesco
* Serrano-wrapped melon with mint and hot pepper
* Lamb tagine with raisins and almonds and couscous
* Fish tagine with chickpeas and roasted peppers
* Vegetable tajine with harissa
* Green olive stew
* Crema catalana (these will be small and almost bite sized)
* Almond semolina cake with honeyed apricots
* Zimzala chocolate ganache with olive and sea salt on grilled sourdough
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.