Looking for a creative way to cook? All the burners on your stove taken up with preparations for tomorrow's gigantic dinner party? You can use your dishwasher to cook dinner. Dishwasher catfish to the rescue!
You'll need the following:
1 pound of catfish fillet or catfish "nuggets", thawed if frozen
1 lemon (try it with a Meyer lemon while they're in season!)
3 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
1 chile (for less heat, use a jalapeño; for more, use a Thai bird chile)
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper
Heavy duty aluminum foil
1. Cut the catfish into four pieces (if you're using frozen catfish nuggets, use four), then salt and pepper both sides.
2. Slice the lemon, lime, garlic and ginger thinly.
3. Cut the chile in half (carefully).
4. Lay out a big piece of foil, double it over itself, then flute the edges to create a small rim.
5. In the middle of the foil, lay out half the lemon slices, half the lime slices, half the garlic, half the ginger, half the cilantro (with the stems pointing in both directions) and one chile half.
6. Lay the catfish in one layer on top of the produce.
7. Layer the remaining produce on, then pour the soy sauce over the whole thing.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
8.Wrap the foil packet by folding the top down, then folding the sides in. Make sure there are no leaks (turn it over and over and make sure no soy sauce drips out).
9. Put the packet in the rack closest to the heat source, close the dishwasher, and run it on its hottest wash and the heated dry. You want the heated dry to run for at least 45 minutes; an hour would be better.
10. The fish should flake when done, but still be moist.
If you just can't hack the idea of using your dishwasher to cook, you can do this in the oven set to 250°F. Also, it shouldn't be necessary to say this, but you do clean your dishwasher, right? I mean, it doesn't just get clean by running with dirty dishes in it. Kim and Aggie would be so ashamed.