New Year's means bowl games. Bowl games mean parties. Parties mean guy food, and guy food means wings.
If you absolutely insist, you can use boneless, skinless chicken breast. Just don't tell me about it, because I don't want to think about it.
Before we get to the actual recipe, my wife has asked that I offer an even lazier, still pretty decent-tasting alternative: Frank's Red Hot sauce, which at something like 20 calories a bottle, is actually not so bad for you, either. Or you can read on and get the one with the butter in it.
Yeah, that's what I thought.
1. Catch, de-wing, tag and release fifteen wild, free-range American bison (Bison bison).
Just kidding. Those bison could mop the prairie with you and you know it.
30 chicken wings, trimmed (the narrow tip will burn during deep-frying)
1 stick butter
1 bottle (5 or 6 oz.) hot sauce--break out the Crystal for this one!
1 bunch celery, cut into sticks
1 recipe bleu cheese dressing (below)
- An hour before you're going to cook, cut the wing tips off (they'll burn during cooking), separate the drummettes from the wings, and lay out on paper toweling to dry out.
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy pot on the stove until it's 360°F.
- Fry the wings, a few at a time, until crispy.
- Melt the butter (the microwave is fine).
- Mix the butter and the hot sauce in the largest bowl you have, then toss the warm wings in the sauce.
- Serve with celery and bleu cheese dressing.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Bleu Cheese dressing
1 cup mayonnaise
6 oz. Maytag or other good bleu cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. finely minced shallot
Salt and pepper
- Whisk everything together and let it sit, covered, in the refrigerator for an hour to meld the flavors.
My wife, incidentally, insists that I inform the readership that butter and hot sauce are not, in fact, healthy and that Frank's Red Hot sauce is