Pete Lehmar of Gladstone's, Part Three
If you finish your dinner, you can have a small large piece of carrot cake.
On the line this week is Pete Lehmar of Gladstone's first OC-area location. If you missed the interview, click here and here, then continue on for this week's chef's recipe.
Gladstone's of Long Beach
1 pound backfin crab meat
1 pound special (lump) crab meat
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. dry mustard
2 oz. mayonnaise
4 tsp. lemon juice
1 oz. Dijon mustard
1 oz. butter, melted
2 tsp. parsley, chopped
4 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1 c. panko breadcrumbs, plus a little to coat
1. Combine all the ingredients except the crab meat.
2. Gently fold in the crab meat.
3. Handling with care, carefully portion out into 2 oz. patties. Do not overmix or pack the crab meat. Use just enough energy to bring it together.
4. Lightly coat the patties with additional panko breadcrumbs.
5. In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add butter, then add crab cakes and sauté until golden-brown on each side, approximately 2-3 minutes a side.
6. Serve with chipotle mayonnaise, Thousand Island Dressing, or wine-butter sauce. Can be made into a nice sandwich with soft, lightly toasted bread, tartar sauce, tomato and lettuce.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.