On the Line: Vincent Muraco of Zimzala
When he enrolled at the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco at the tender age of 17, Vincent Muraco was its youngest student ever. Since then, his culinary career has taken him to the Park Hyatts in that city and in LA, as well as Vix in Miami. Muraco is now Executive Chef at Zimzala, the restaurant within Huntington Beach's groovy new Shorebreak Hotel. In devising the Med menu, Muraco worked with James Beard award-winning chef Joyce Goldstein, and the results are impressive. Put it this way: Miami's loss is OC's gain. Here he talks knives, New York and never EVER eating fast food.
1. Dish that you cook that most represents you.
Soup of the day.
2. What was the last meal you had at home?
A barbecue by the pool. Churrasco, spicy prawns, asparagus and salad. And beer, of course.
3. Your favorite restaurant (other than yours):
Fuego at the Hotel Maya, Long Beach.
4. Fast food guilty pleasure:
Starbucks' caramel frappuccino. I don't eat fast food ever.
5. Complete this sentence: I would like to [verb] [Food Network Star] with [noun].
I would like to "challenge" the "Iron Chefs" with my "mad culinary skills."
6. Last meal of your life, what would it be?
Pastrami sandwich and cream soda at Katz's deli in New York.
7. Items you always have in your refrigerator:
Mostly beverages, since I am never home. Good beer, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, San Pellegrino and my homemade ice tea.
8. Your most indispensable kitchen tool or appliance:
My Japanese chef's knife (Masahiro) and my red pen.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.