On The Line: Rachel Klemek of Blackmarket Bakery
, her made-from-scratch bakery in Irvine.
Here are her answers to our survey.
1. Dish that you cook that most represents you.
Other than baking, my "dish" at home is popcorn - old school style with the pan, lid, oil, butter & salt.
2. What was the last meal you had at home?
Soft tacos with shrimp, avocado, corn, rice, black beans & oyster sauce.
3. Your favorite restaurant (other than yours):
Kepley's Barbecue in High Point, NC - I grew up with their Carolina-style vinegary pork BBQ sandwiches and amazing hush puppies.
4. Fast food guilty pleasure:
Tommy's Chili Cheese Fries - whoa.
5. Complete this sentence I would like to [verb] [Food Network Star] with [noun].
(for example: "I would like to BEAT BOBBY FLAY with A STALE BAGUETTE." or "I would like to SHOWER GIADA DE LAURENTIIS with FLOWERS"):
I would like to drive to Las Vegas with Alton Brown in the Wienermobile. (We could talk all about baking science.)
6. Last meal of your life, what would it be?
Joe's Lobster Salad Sandwiches on Brioche - shortbread cookies & Florentines for dessert.
7. Items you always have in your refrigerator:
Yogurt, eggs, buttermilk, cabbage.
8. Your most indispensable kitchen tool or appliance:
Plastic dough scrapers and parchment paper... and my kids love the melon baller - go figure.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.