Jozef Besharati's House of Kabob is what you can call a sleeper hit. It's quietly garnered a following by word of mouth, noteworthy because it's located in a seldom-travelled part of Lake Forest, already a sleepy town in its own right.
Its quick success begat a sequel. He recently opened House of Kabob II in Irvine, which is still just as modest as his original store, but equal on its offerings of Persian food made right. Here he answers our silly survey.
1. Dish you cook that most represents you.
The dish that most represents me is probably our famous Zafarani Kabob, a platter of juicy, boneless chicken kabob, strips of charbroiled seasoned ground beef, and charbroiled lamb chops marinated in our delicious house sauce and served with imported Basmati Rice and a charbroiled tomato.
2. What was the last meal you had at home?
Osso bucco with creamy seafood risotto. I attended culinary school in Switzerland and France so I really enjoy cooking French or Italian dishes at home.
3. Your favorite restaurant (other than yours):
Sapphire in Laguna Beach, CA. Chef Asmin is a great chef! I also like Le Relais de l'Entrecôte in Paris, France.
4. Fast food guilty pleasure:
I'm not really big on fast food. However, I do love Starbuck's cafe lattes.
5. Complete this sentence: I would like to [verb] [Food Network star] with [noun]. (for example: "I would like to BEAT BOBBY FLAY with A STALE BAGUETTE." or "I would like to SHOWER GIADA DE LAURENTIIS with FLOWERS"):
I would like to smoke Bobby Flay with his own barbeque.
6. Last meal of your life, what would it be?
Well I hope that meal is very far away! I would probably start with sautéed Foie de Canard, then an entrecote Béarnaise with frites, not to mention several bottles of Château Mouton Rothschild, 1945!
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
7. Items you always have in your refrigerator:
Garlic, Cream, Persian Caviar, and Brie Cheese.
8. Your most indispensable kitchen tool or appliance:
Wusthof 9-inch Chef's Knife.