On The Line: Derek Venutolo of The Capital Grille, Part Three
Photo by Todd Barnes
For our final installment of On The Line with Derek Venutolo of Capital Grille, our featured chef shares a recipe.
Otherwise click onward.
Photo Courtesy of The Capital Grille
~ Flourless Chocolate Espresso Cake ~
YIELD: 1 cake (serves 10)
Semisweet chocolate 1 lb. (coarsely chopped)
Unsalted butter (diced) 1 lb.
Freshly-brewed espresso 1 C.
Golden brown sugar 1 C.
Eggs (beaten to blend) 8
Raspberry sauce (see recipe below)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom of a 9-inch diameter cake pan with 2 inch high sides with parchment. Place all chocolate in large bowl.
2) Bring butter, espresso and sugar to boil in medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
3) Add chocolate; whisk until smooth and cool slightly.
4) Whip eggs until blended. Stir eggs into chocolate mixture until blended (Do not whip).
5) Pour batter into prepared pans. Place cake pan in roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of cake pan.
6) Bake until center of cake is set and tester inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 45 minutes.
7) Remove pans from water and chill cake overnight.
8) Cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Using oven mitts, hold pan bottom over low heat for 15 seconds, warming slightly to release cake. Place platter over pan. Hold pan and platter together tightly and invert. Lift off cake pan, peel off parchment and dust top of each cake with cocoa powder.
9) Cut cake into slices and garnish with fresh raspberries and raspberry sauce.
~ Raspberry Sauce ~
Raspberries 1 ½ lbs.
Sugar ¼ lb.
Salt ½ tsp.
1) In a medium mixing bowl, combine the raspberries, sugar and salt.
2) Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3) Combine all ingredients in a blender, puree, and pour through a strainer.
The Capital Grille, 3333 Bristol St., Costa Mesa, CA 92626, (714) 432-1140; www.thecapitalgrille.com.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.