On the Line: David Slay, Chef at Park Ave
Stanton may be an unlikely place to open a destination restaurant, but, with Park Ave, chef and managing partner David Slay has made it work. OK, you may find a burger on the menu, but it'll be sitting alongside the likes of scallops and filet mignon. And those 'fresh-clipped greens (which, as you can see below, Slay is partial to himself)? They're exactly that--he takes great pride in Park Ave's garden (ask your server and you may even get a tour).
1. Dish that you cook that most represents you.
When I cook, I don't like to make it about me, but about everyone else. That said, the kind of dish that represents me is simple, not tricked up, and uses only the freshest and finest ingredients!
2. What was the last meal you had at home?
Last night I made grilled steaks with fresh-clipped lettuces with shaved parmesan. We also ate homemade flatbread with end-of-season tomatoes and Stilton with tomato jam.
3. Your favorite restaurant (other than yours):
Dan Tana's in West Hollywood. I like the old-school vibe and there's always a fun crowd.
4. Fast food guilty pleasure:
I don't eat fast food. . . unless when visiting family in St. Louis, and then it's White Castle.
5. Complete this sentence: I would like to [verb] [Food Network Star] with [noun].
I would like to cook and eat lunch with Bobby Flay.
6. Last meal of your life, what would it be?
I'd go for roasted chicken, fries, white asparagus and a chocolate shake.
7. Items you always have in your refrigerator:
A variety of condiments, including mustard, hot sauce, pickles, lots of vegetables and chocolate ice cream (in the freezer).
8. Your most indispensable kitchen tool or appliance:
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.