On The Line: Daniel Stevens of Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill
Courtesy of Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill
When not in the kitchen, Daniel Stevens, executive chef of Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill at South Coast Plaza, can be found surfing the waves in Huntington Beach. This Connecticut native graduated from culinary school in 1996 and has been leading the Costa Mesa location of Z'Tejas since 2004. Even though he was out of town, Stevens took a moment to fill out our survey for this week's On The Line:
1. Dish you cook that most represents you.
Crispy Pan Salmon. I love fresh seafood and it has simple flavors.
2. What was the last meal you had at home?
Grilled lamb chops with tarragon caper vinaigrette.
3. Your favorite restaurant (other than yours):
La Cave in Newport. Classic steak and seafood. I love the ambiance because it reminds me of back East.
4. Fast food guilty pleasure:
5. Complete this sentence: I would like to [verb] [Food Network star] with [noun]. (for example: "I would like to BEAT BOBBY FLAY with A STALE BAGUETTE." or "I would like to SHOWER GIADA DE LAURENTIIS with FLOWERS"):
I would like to compete against Bobby Flay with fresh seafood.
6. Last meal of your life, what would it be?
Sausage, peppers, pasta shells, homemade pomodoro sauce and fresh Parmesan cheese.
7. Items you always have in your refrigerator:
8. Your most indispensable kitchen tool or appliance:
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.