On the Line: Amar Santana of Charlie Palmer at Bloomingdale's
This week we grilled Amar Santana, Executive Chef at Charlie Palmer at Bloomingdale's, South Coast Plaza.
As well as cooking, the Dominican Republic-born chef also teaches regular kitchen technique classes at the restaurant (for information, check the website).
Here, he talks about his love of pork and his desire to grease up a certain ubiquitous food "personality".
1. Dish that you cook that most represents you:
Crisp pork belly. I just LOVE pork.
2. What was the last meal you had at home?
Frozen Chinese dumplings with sriracha and Japanese mayo.
3. Your favorite restaurant (other than yours):
I have two, actually: Hamamori, in South Coast Plaza, for sushi; and for good Italian food, Cucina Alessá in Newport Beach.
4. Fast food guilty pleasure:
Double-Double Animal style from In-N-Out Burger, plus Animal Fries.
5. Complete this sentence: I would like to [verb] [Food Network star] with [noun].
I would like to shower Rachael Ray with EVOO!
6. Last meal of your life, what would it be?
My mom's roast pork with rice and black beans.
7. Items you always have in your refrigerator:
Frozen Chinese dumplings and Kewpie (Japanese mayo).
8. Your most indispensable kitchen tool or appliance:
My Nenox Japanese knife.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.