Memphis can occupy many spots on this list, and we might just give 'em a couple of more--but on my end, I vow to only include the Hoppin' John on my part of this Long March, if only because I think it's their most unappreciated dish. You've had the gumbo, the soul burger, the po'boy, and all their other Southern-fied dishes--but how about this one, this mix of celery, andouille sausage, dirty rice, bell peppers, black-eyed peas and a bunch of Louisiana hot sauce, served with a bit of broth and all about porcine smoothness and veggie crunch?
The craziest thing about this dish is that it's listed under the sides--no, what's crazier is that you can get a healthy heap for about $5, and--shhh!!!--it's as filling as any of their higher-priced, just-as-delicious meals, especially when you ask for the complimentary cornbread. I've found myself ordering the Hoppin' John again and again over this past year, forsaking my other faves in the name of cheapness--that is, until I use the money I saved to buy more drinks from their bartending badasses...
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
The list so far:
92. Free Beans and Chips at Taqueria Zamora
93. Pig in a Blanket Waffle with Gringo Bandito at Cafe Calacas
94. "Pork Hash" at Huong Giang
95. Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadilla At Kogi
96. Licuados at Mil Jugos
97. Hawaiian Ahi Poke at California Fish Grill
98. Takoyaki at Takoyaki Tanota
99. Fiesta Noodles at Jollibee
100. Chilaquiles Verdes Con Huevos Estrellados at La Tablita California