With everyone's love of all foods with a face, sometimes we need to remind ourselves that good eats can be dug up from the veggie patch. So when we think of a mean, green snack worthy of our countdown, there's one obvious answer-- and it's even featured on a happy hour menu.
Across the Bridge of Gardens, in that other side of South Coast (where parking is a breeze), James Hamamori selects king-sized asparagus to feature. The vibrant green hue isn't smothered in cheese or dipped in ranch dressing, but his fry method is just as mouthwatering, if not better. Hey, this is sounding a little too OC Fair. I'll just refer back to our Drunk After Work post:
"Get your serving of vegetables, thanks to a trio of jumbo asparagus coated in crumbled okaki rice crackers. Chewy, crunchy, on-a-stick happiness is only improved with a dab of Himalayan shichimi salt and a squeeze of lemon."
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
It's as simple as that. Just no mock sword fighting; we're in a classy joint.
The list so far:
69. The "Fried Egg" at Eat Chow
70. Nam Kao Tod at Vientiane Restaurant
71. Chicken Ramen at Jinya Ramen Bar
72. Pig Snout at Tacos & Carnitas Sahuayo
73. Kale and Mushroom Flatbread at 320 Main
74. Congee at King Lobster Palace
75. Fish and Chips at Slapfish
76. Fries at Playground
77. Carne en Su Jugo at La Cocina de Mi Abuelita
78. S'mores at Ti Amo Biscotti & More
79. Broken Rice at Dat Thanh
80. Bulgogi and Potato Pizza at Chicken & Pizza Love Letter
81. Braised Bacon at Break of Dawn
82. Cake Donut at Cream Pan
83. Bistec de Pollo at Mercado El Rey
84. The Rhino at Rancho a Go Go
85. Cabernet Brownies at Blackmarket Bakery
86. Cookie Monster at Lola Ice Cream and Deli
87. Polenta Board at CUCINA Enoteca
88. Falafel Taco at Taco Asylum
89. Wagon-Wheel Bread at THE RANCH Restaurant
90. Toothpick Tacos at Mexico Supermarket
91. Hoppin' John at Memphis at the Santora
92. Free Beans and Chips at Taqueria Zamora
93. Pig in a Blanket Waffle with Gringo Bandito at Cafe Calacas
94. "Pork Hash" at Huong Giang
95. Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadilla At Kogi
96. Licuados at Mil Jugos
97. Hawaiian Ahi Poke at California Fish Grill
98. Takoyaki at Takoyaki Tanota
99. Fiesta Noodles at Jollibee
100. Chilaquiles Verdes Con Huevos Estrellados at La Tablita California