The pairing of certain items may be unnatural: peanut butter & jelly in a burger, pizza bagels, Ric Ocasek and Paulina Porizkova, etc. Experimental dessert places take it to another level with what they're willing to try. Along the perimeter city of Cypress, one business wants to conjure up memories with a not-so-classic twist on shaved snow.
While Flurries Shaved Snow incorporates a few seasonal specialties like halo halo, for the summertime heat, some of their mainstays include a tangy lemon bar and salted mocha. Yet on this visit, only one was screaming our name.
Although it resonated a "Does Not Compute" message in our mind, we gazed down at our swirly mountain of milky snow, smoked bacon, layered pound cake and meaty sauce--drizzled until a golden hue appeared. We took a spoonful and experienced cool and chewy, salty and cakey.
So. Confusing. Yet strangely appealing. Our savory tendencies took over as we began to inhale bites with gusto. A sprinkle of powdered sugar subtly reminded us this was dessert, but barely. This flavor isn't for everyone, except maybe those who think everything tastes better with pork. Or a fried egg. Or cheese.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
The list so far:
67. The Venetian Roll at Sushi at The Venetian Gentleman's Club
68. Okaki Asparagus at Hamamori
69. The "Fried Egg" at Eat Chow
70. Nam Kao Tod at Vientiane Restaurant
71. Chicken Ramen at Jinya Ramen Bar
72. Pig Snout at Tacos & Carnitas Sahuayo
73. Kale and Mushroom Flatbread at 320 Main
74. Congee at King Lobster Palace
75. Fish and Chips at Slapfish
76. Fries at Playground
77. Carne en Su Jugo at La Cocina de Mi Abuelita
78. S'mores at Ti Amo Biscotti & More
79. Broken Rice at Dat Thanh
80. Bulgogi and Potato Pizza at Chicken & Pizza Love Letter
81. Braised Bacon at Break of Dawn
82. Cake Donut at Cream Pan
83. Bistec de Pollo at Mercado El Rey
84. The Rhino at Rancho a Go Go
85. Cabernet Brownies at Blackmarket Bakery
86. Cookie Monster at Lola Ice Cream and Deli
87. Polenta Board at CUCINA Enoteca
88. Falafel Taco at Taco Asylum
89. Wagon-Wheel Bread at THE RANCH Restaurant
90. Toothpick Tacos at Mexico Supermarket
91. Hoppin' John at Memphis at the Santora
92. Free Beans and Chips at Taqueria Zamora
93. Pig in a Blanket Waffle with Gringo Bandito at Cafe Calacas
94. "Pork Hash" at Huong Giang
95. Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadilla At Kogi
96. Licuados at Mil Jugos
97. Hawaiian Ahi Poke at California Fish Grill
98. Takoyaki at Takoyaki Tanota
99. Fiesta Noodles at Jollibee
100. Chilaquiles Verdes Con Huevos Estrellados at La Tablita California