In the final installment of this week's On The Line, Executive Chef Gabriel Caliendo of The Lazy Dog Cafe shares with us a recipe for Cast Iron Idaho Trout with roasted summer vegetables, sea salt roasted marble potatoes and citrus-walnut brown butter.
Cast Iron Idaho Trout
Roasted Summer Vegetables
Sea Salt Roasted Marble Potatoes
Citrus-Walnut Brown Butter
Sustainably Farmed Boneless Skin-On Idaho Trout
Veggies & Potatoes
1 TBSP. Tomatoes, small diced
1 tsp. Italian Parsley, chopped fine
Lemon, seeds removed. Seasoned and charred "a la plancha."
Veggies & Potatoes:
1 oz. Zucchini, cubed
1 oz. Goldbar squash, cubed
1 oz. Roasted red bell peppers, strips
1 oz. Mushrooms, assorted sliced
2 oz. Tri-colored marble size potatoes
1 tsp. Garlic, freshly chopped
1 tsp. Fresh thyme, chopped
1 tsp. Sea salt
1 tsp. Black pepper, freshly ground
1 oz. Olive oil
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Toss veggies in half of the thyme, salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil.
3. Toss tri-colored potatoes in other half of same ingredients.
4. Place on separate sheet pans.
5. Roast until veggies are charred lightly and still firm to touch.
6. Roast potatoes until tender in middle.
7. Toss potatoes with veggies and adjust seasonings.
3 oz. Butter
1 tsp. Red bell pepper, brunoise
1 oz. Walnuts, chopped
.5 oz. Lemon juice
.5 oz. Lime juice
.75 oz. Orange juice
.25 tsp. Sea salt
.25 tsp. Black pepper
1. Heat sauté pan with butter and walnuts in pan.
2. Toast walnuts lightly and wait until butter is brown but not black.
3. Deglaze with citrus juices and reduce slightly.
4. Season and finish with salt, pepper, and bell pepper brunoise.
To finish the dish:
1. Season trout with salt and pepper.
2. Place veggies and potatoes on skillet.
3. Lean raw trout up against veggies and potatoes.
4. Roast in oven until trout is cooked and veggies/potatoes are hot.
5. Pour citrus-walnut butter over the top.
6. Garnish with fresh tomatoes, charred lemon and parsley.