Stick a Fork In It asked Chef Dee Nguyen of Laguna Hills' Break of Dawn if he would be willing to share a recipe; he responded with this amazing-sounding recipe for an egg casserole: tomato- and Thai basil-braised eggs with spring vegetables and mozzarella cheese and grilled bread.
"I fell in love with a similar dish in Cannes (Southern France) in 1999," Nguyen says. "This is my version, with an Asian flavor. It is hearty and comforting, yet very light in taste. Impress your loved ones in the morning with this recipe."
Tomato- and Thai basil-braised eggs,
spring vegetables and mozzarella cheese
with grilled bread
Dee Nguyen, Break of Dawn Restaurant
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
½ onion, diced small
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 new potato, diced small
1 knob ginger, chopped
½ tsp. fennel seeds
2 large tomatoes, diced small
1 c. spring vegetables (carrots, zucchini, peas, etc.), diced small
3 c. chicken broth or water
1 tsp. sugar (use more or less depending on the acidity of the tomato)
1 tsp. fish sauce
1 sprig Thai basil
½ c. shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Using a shallow 10-inch saucepan, sauté the onion, garlic, potato, ginger and fennel seeds with oil on medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
2. Add the tomato, vegetables, chicken broth, sugar and fish sauce to the pan and let the mixture simmer for 10 more minutes with lid covered (should be the consistency of stew).
3. Open lid and crack in four eggs; top with cheese, basil and cracked black pepper.
4. Turn off the heat and cover for ten minutes for the eggs to cook and the cheese to melt.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
5. Salt and pepper according to your taste.
6. Serve with your favorite bread.