BBQ Pitmaster Johnny Trigg's BBQ Class This November
Courtesy Big Poppa Smokers
The world of contest barbecue is a tight-knit community full of friends that compete fiercely against each other. Last year, I had the chance to meet and compete against Johnny Trigg, the "Godfather of BBQ," and the crew from Big Poppa Smokers on the set of TLC's BBQ Pitmasters Season 2. Though the TV show gave the impression that competitors don't like each other, we're really brothers in smoke.
Big Poppa sells nothing but top-notch, made-in-USA smokers and grills. Johnny Trigg makes the most beautiful competition spare ribs I've had the honor of tasting. Together, they're giving backyard cooks and established BBQ teams the chance to learn the art of competition BBQ from a legend.
Because BBQ contests are a two-day, overnight affair, this class will follow a real contest timeline. This is the second time that Big Poppa Smokers has hosted Mr. Trigg's class, and it is expected to sell out again.
The lowdown from Big Poppa Smokers:
In this class, Johnny will teach everything he does in a competition setting.... no holding back!
The cost is $600 per person (non-refundable), and there will be secondary waiting list in case there are no shows on the day of the class for a $300 fee.
- Class memberships ARE transferable. Your class fee secures your spot in the class.
- The class will be held in Coachella, CA on November 4th and 5th, 2011.
- No video or photography will be allowed.
- Dinner on Friday night and breakfast Saturday morning is included with the BBQ "tasting lunch" with Johnny around noon (we advise everyone to come hungry).
- Discounted hotel rates for the nearby Fantasy Springs Resort Casino will also be available soon.
- The class is expected to be full by mid-August. Call 877-828-0727 to arrange for your spot.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.