62. Every Damn Thing at Mochi Cream
Two of Mochi Cream's traditional Japanese flavors
You've no doubt eaten those one-bite mochi desserts filled with ice cream served in Japanese restaurants? You like those, dontcha? Lightly sweet, flavored mochi filled with ice cream? Who wouldn't?
Well now imagine something similar, but a hundred times better. Instead of ice cream, imagine thick, gooey custard and fruit filling. Or whipped cream and apple pie filling. Or raspberry flavored cream flecked with crunchy bits of mille feuille.
What you got there is the ooey-gooey, next evolution: Mochi Cream.
Mochi Cream is a Japanese chain that placed its second So Cal location in Costa Mesa's Mitsuwa supermarket last year. They have combinations that appeal both to the Japanese traditionalist palate as well as those with western leanings.
Alongside flavors like Black Sesame. Black Kinako (roasted sweetened black soy flour), Red Sweet Potato, and Sakura (cherry blossom), you also have distinctly non-Japanese flavors like Rum Raisin, Choco-Banana, Darjeeling and Caramel Macchiato.
Just when you thought this two-bite bun of delight couldn't possibly get any better, along comes their answer to the Cronut: the Mochido: a donut-shaped Mochi Cream glazed with yet another insane layer of flavor.
Mochi Cream. 665 Paularino Ave., Costa Mesa.
63. Most Things at Devilicious Donuts
64. Robiola Bosina at Provisions Market
65. Bite-Sized Stinky Tofu at Tofu King
66. Tacos Dorados at Tortas Ahogadas Los Primos
67. Tlacoyo at El Rincon Chilango
68. Whole Pig Roast at Haven Gastropub
69. Chingaderas at Smoqued BBQ
70. The Continuous Ramen Chronicles at The Playground
71. Shrimp & Grits at Slapfish
72. Bacon Cotton Candy at Biggy's Meat Market
73. Urban 3b at Urban Seoul
74. Waffles & Chicken from The Slummin' Gourmet & Waffles de Liege
75. Ahi Tuna Tartar at Nieuport 17
76. Chicken Wings at Hashigo Korean Kitchen
77. Brussels Sprouts Pizza at Pizzeria Mozza
78. Breakfast Sausage Hash at Thasos Greek Island Grille
79. Chocolate Doughnut with Jacobsen Sea Salt at Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee
80. Loco Moco Dog at Dogzilla
81. Fruit Tart at Le Croissant Dore
82. Daing Na Bangus (Marinated Milkfish) Silog Breakfast at Chowking
83. Strawberry Basil Lemonade at Mick's Karma Bar
84. Lemongrass Chicken Salad at Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop
85. Tofu Soup at Tasty Thai
86. Take-Out Dim Sum at Capital B.B.Q. and Dim Sum Express
87. Hodo Gwaja at Cocohodo
88. Popcorn Chicken Salad at Guppy House
89. Fried Okra at Memphis Soul Cafe & Bar
90. Salted Egg With Bitter Melon & Scrambled Egg at Tasty Noodle House
91. Boysenberry Lemonade from Bautista Creek Local Produce at SOCO Farmers' Market
92. Scallop Carpaccio with Curry Oil and Yuzu Vinaigrette from Cafe Hiro
93. White Board Specials at Taco Adobe
94. Coney Dog at LinX
95. Halal Pizzas from San Giovanni Pizzas
96. Clayuda at El Fortín
97. Lunch Buffet at Dosa Express
98. The Meats at Darya in Orange
99. Panocha at Taquería Zamora
100. Bean-and-Cheese Burrito from Del Taco
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.