100 Favorite OC Dishes, #54: Yakitori at Electric City Butcher
The meat sweats never felt so good.
Once a month, on the corner of 4th and Bush streets in downtown SanTana, the boys from nose-to-tail virtuousos Electric City Butcher light up the Binchotan for First Saturday, where they slang yakitori, night-market style — and it’s fire.
One of each please!
People gather around and wait patiently for grilled-to-order, succulent skewered morsels of ECB’s finest offerings. From sweet breads to chicken gizzards to beef cheeks, the menu has a protein or offal for every desire. The must-try is their handmade blood sausage. A rich, complex blend of sweet spices ideally lend themselves to the delicate coagulated blood. When grilled, the sausage's earthy aroma gives way to the casing becomes crispy, creating that perfect snap until reaching its moist center.
And don’t let the simple set up fool you: these aren't Webers they’re grillin' on. Chef Michael Puglisi and his squad are firing up two custom-made yakitori grills, handcrafted by local fabrication designer George Bernal. The crew fires up at 7 p.m. until they sell out, and they sell out fast (like 300 skewers in less than 2 hours fast) so get there early, bring lots of cash, and say "One of each, please"
Electric City Butcher, 201 E 4th St., Santa Ana, (714) 474-9096.
55. Tsukemen at Kitakata Ramen Ban Nai
56. Ten Zaru Soba at Tanakaya
57. Pink Cloud Sandwich at Alicia's Cookery
58. Homemade Super Nachos at Taqueria Los Santos
59. Strawberry Banana Croissant at Cream Pan
60. Pla Duk Phat Phet at Vientiane Thai Laos Restaurant
61. Risotto Con Burrata at Taverna
62. Pineapple Float at Jollibee
63. Szechuan Fries at Wok N Tandoor
64. Banh Xeo at Quan Mii
65. Chanko Nabe at
66. Hamshuka from Hummus Bowl
67. The Reuben at A Market
68. Everything Cake from Slice Deli And Cakery
69. Spicy Shrimp And Eggplant from Brio Tuscan Grille
70. Crawfish Mac & Cheese from The Wharf
71. Malasadas from Dough Doughs Hawaiian Cafe
72. Salsas from Salsa Bandolera
73. Chorizo Breakfast Bagel at
74. Whole Chicken Combo at
75. Toothpick Lamb at Sichuan Impression
76. Hainan Chicken Rice at
77. Fruit- and Ice Cream-Topped Waffles at Crave
78. Garlic Shrimp Poke at Costco
79. Chimichurri Fries at
80. Torta Cubana at Cancun Juice
81. Adobo Bowl at
82. Garlic Noodles at Krave Asian Fusion
83. Broccolini at SeaSalt WoodFire Grill
84. Spicy Tuna Roll at Yard House
85. Amber Roll at Orange Roll and Sushi
86. Frito Chili Cheeseburger at Burger Parlor
87. Maui Sunrise at The Original Banzai Bowls
88. Meals from The Performance Kitchen
89. Pizza-Sized Quesadilla at Los Sanchez
90. Filipino Brunch at EATS Kitchen And Bar
91. Mexican Chocolate at the Pie Hole
92. Biscuits at
93. Mushroom Flatbread with Kale and Kumquat Salad at Lemonade
94. Mexican-Style Gelatins from Santa Ana's
95. Hot Pastrami Caesar Salad at Bruxie
96. Jalapeño Pupusas at Las Cazuelas
97. Meatball Sliders at Fresh Brothers
98. Buffalo Cauliflower at Mead's Green Door Cafe
99. Raindrop Cake at
100. Doughrito at Surfin' Donuts
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.