You'll Flip Over Pat Robertson Seminar in Costa Mesa
From 2 to 4 p.m. Friday, associate professor of historyDavid Marley
hosts a seminar at Vanguard University (VU) in Costa Mesa based on his 2007 book,Pat Robertson: An American Life
. "This is a fantastic lecture for VU students because Pat Robertson is such an influential and important person in Christianity today," beamsDerrick Rosenior
, associate professor of communication, "and it is a great opportunity to understand more about him through the historical work of Dr. Marley."
NBA Preseason Basketball: Los Angeles Lakers v Sacramento Kings
TicketsTue., Oct. 4, 7:00pm
Premium Level - NBA Preseason Basketball: Lakers v Sacramento Kings
TicketsTue., Oct. 4, 7:00pm
Anaheim Ducks v. San Jose Sharks
TicketsSun., Oct. 9, 5:00pm
NBA Preseason Basketball: Los Angeles Lakers v Phoenix Suns
TicketsFri., Oct. 21, 7:00pm
Indeed, and to help you understand more about him before Christian soldiering into the seminar, here are 10 Pat Robertson doozies:
1. On the "snowpocalypse" earlier this winter that smacked the Northeast U.S. and Atlantic coast: "Because of the bad road conditions the Almighty has made, any gay activities that people were planning on doing will have to be postponed by a day or two."
2. On the millions of straight people in New York City who were also grounded by the bad weather: "I think God probably wonders, 'If these people are really straight, then what are they doing in New York?'"
3. On "Gays Days" at Disneyworld: "I would warn Orlando that you're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you, This is not a message of hate--this is a message of redemption. But a condition like this will bring about the destruction of your nation. It'll bring about terrorist bombs; it'll bring earthquakes, tornadoes and possibly a meteor."
4. One for the ladies: "[T]he feminist agenda is not about equal rights for women. It is about a socialist, anti-family political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."
5. On Haiti's earthquake last year: "It may be a blessing in disguise. . . . Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. Haitians were originally under the heel of the French--you know, Napoleon the third, or whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you will get us free from the French.' True story. And so, the devil said, 'Okay, it's a deal.' Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other."
6. On the U.S. State Department HQ: "Maybe we need a very small nuke thrown off on Foggy Bottom to shake things up."
7. On the end-of-the-world bringer: "The Antichrist is probably a Jew alive in Israel today."
8. On apartheid in South Africa: "I think 'one man, one vote,' just unrestricted democracy, would not be wise. There needs to be some kind of protection for the minority, which the white people represent now, a minority, and they need and have a right to demand a protection of their rights."
9. On . . . his 1988 presidential run? "Is there in all the history of human folly a greater fool than a clergymen in politics?"
10. On . . . Pat Robertson? "I have a zero tolerance for sanctimonious morons who try to scare people."
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss OC Weekly's biggest stories. Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts