Weekender Updater: Hatin' is Down; Raping Church Leader is Jailed; and Much, Much More
The weekender you are updatered on: a double-digit percentage drop in Orange County hate crimes; a Calvary Chapel church leader cutting a deal to stay out of prison for statutory rape; new regulations coming in the wake of Santa Ana-based Corinthian Colleges Inc,'s implosion; an OC murder count being dismissed against a Connecticut murderer; and the prison sentence for a teen who tried to kill his reserve sheriff's deputy father with a hammer.
Update: Hate crimes in Orange County dropped 18 percent in 2014 compared with the prior year, and more than 50 percent from a decade ago, according to the county Human Relations Commission's annual report released this week. There were 40 hate crimes reported in Orange County in 2014, a decline from 49 in 2013, according to the commission. There were 99 reported hate crimes in 2004. Violent hate crime was also down in the county, 23 in 2014 vs. 28 the year before. Black people remain the top target of reported hate in Orange County, where only 2 percent of the population is black. Rusty Kennedy, the commission's longtime executive director, attributed the overall decline in hate crimes on the "collaborative effort" of law enforcement and community organizations.
Story: Monday Pervy Monday: Calvary Church Leader Vincent Lavello Had Sex with 14 y.o. Girl: DA Update: Vincent Daniel Lavello pleaded guilty Monday to three counts of committing lewd acts on a child and statutory rape, according to Deputy District Attorney Lexie Elliott. The 51-year-old, who had been out on bail, was then taken into custody to begin a 28-month jail stint for the statutory rape of a 14-year-old girl he met as a volunteer church leader at Calvary Chapel West Grove in Garden Grove, Elliott said. As part of a plea deal, Lavello's sentencing date was set for Jan. 3, 2018, when authorities estimate he will have collected enough custody credits to be done with a five-year sentence. Under the deal, Lavello is serving his time in Orange County Jail instead of state prison, Elliott said. "It was important for [the victim] to see him go in," the prosecutor told City News Service. Three additional counts of lewd acts on a child were dropped as part of the deal. A conviction at trial could have sent Lavello to state prison for seven years.
Wither the pillars
Corinthian Colleges Inc.
Story: Workers and Students Scramble as Corinthian Colleges Closes Its Remaining For-Profit Schools Update: The U.S. Department of Education is crafting new regulations to help students seek debt relief and better hold colleges accountable for wrongdoing in the aftermath of the collapse this spring of Santa Ana-based Corinthian Colleges Inc., the Los Angeles Times reported this week. U.S. Under Secretary of Education Ted Mitchell says the rules will complement an initiative already under way that allows potentially hundreds of thousands of former Corinthian students to apply for federal student-loan forgiveness, adds the Times, which notes a final regulation is not expected until November 2016.
Update: A murder charge was dismissed this week against Walter Lawrence Dalie, who stood trial for a 1978 Laguna Beach robbery-slaying, but prosecutors say they plan to refile the case against the 56-year-old who has been in the Orange County Jail since September 2011. Some may ask why: Dalie will now go back to serving the rest of a 50-year sentence for the 1985 murder of his girlfriend in Connecticut. Orange County Senior Deputy District Attorney Matt Murphy says forensic evidence that will take months to analyze needs to be in place before refiling charges against Dalie, who allegedly stabbed 55-year-old Laguna Beach resident Brent Stapleton Tobey 17 times in the back, head and chest on Nov. 20, 1978. Dalie, who bludgeoned his girlfriend to death with a hammer in Connecticut, had his DNA entered in a database that matched up with evidence collected at the Tobey murder scene, according to authorities. Dalie resided in Laguna Beach and Newport Beach in the 1970s and early '80s.
Story: John Edward Kudla, 17, Charged as Adult in Hammer Attack on His Father, Reserve Sheriff's Sgt. Jon Kudla Update: John Edward Kudla, who is now 19, was sentenced Friday to 10 years in state prison for attempting to murder his sleeping father, a reserve deputy with the county sheriff's search and rescue team. Kudla had pleaded guilty on Jan. 16 to felony attempted murder and aggravated assault with a sentencing enhancement for inflicting great bodily injury. The attack happened in May 2013, which is the same month Kudla moved into his father's Trabuco Canyon home, where he woke up one morning, took a large construction hammer from the kitchen area that was under renovation and walked upstairs to daddy's bedroom, hitting the sleeping man in the head nine times. Kudla then got dressed, ate breakfast and told his other family member that his dad was sick and would probably stay in bed all day. He then stole his father's wallet and keys and drove dad's Volkswagen convertible to school, McDonald's with friends and eventually north on the 5 freeway where he was intercepted by the CHP. Kudla's father was found bleeding by family members and taken by paramedics to Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo, where he remained comatose in critical condition after an emergency life-saving surgery was performed. He suffered brain damage and severe injuries to his skull and required several brain surgeries.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Orange County, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.