[UPDATED:] Gay Cameraman Sues Sacha Baron Cohen Over Prop 8 Riot in Bruno
Update, November 26, 3:51 p.m.: A cameraman has dropped his lawsuit against Sacha Baron Cohen over an alleged assault at a Prop 8 rally in West Hollywood.
Mike Skiff, who is openly gay, cited his own "emotional well being" as being the reason for ending the legal claim filed last month in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
The situation had become too difficult for Skiff, according to his lawyer, who said his client had made the point he wanted to make simply by filing the lawsuit.
Original Post, October 27, 4:28 p.m.: This time "Bruno" went too far, claims a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.
Funnyman Sacha Baron Cohen's alter ego and his crew assaulted a man at a Prop 8 rally, alleges the suit that seeks $25,000 in punitive damages and reimbursement for medical expenses and general damages.
Mike Skiff, a gay cameraman who often films LGBT community events, says he was "shoved, pulled and wrestled in a vicious and blatant attempt to keep him from filming the event" in West Hollywood in 2008.
Bruno filmmakers "deliberately incited at riot by carrying 'Yes on Proposition 8' signs," claims the suit, which acknowledges it was done to "enhance the dramatic effect of what they may capture for their film," but in doing so they violated Skiff's "right to go about his business free from violence and intimidation directed at his sexual orientation."
Bruno/Cohen may have thought the realityish comedy about an Austrian fashion reporter who's a bit light in the loafers would expose gay haters. But even before it was released, the Human Rights Campaign, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and other groups complained parts of the film were problematic and offensive, and that it should have began with a disclaimer informing viewers it is not okay to beat on members of the LGBT community.
You know, like Mike Skiff.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter