[UPDATE: Newport Elementary & Beaches Closed, Small Waves in OC] No Tsunami Warning Issued for California As a Result of 8.8 Magnitude Japan Quake--Yet
UPDATE, MARCH 11, 7:46 A.M.: Southern California is now under a tsunami advisory, rather than a warning. Waves could get as high as 7 feet in the Central Coast, but should be more in the neighborhood of 2 feet on Orange County beaches, The Orange County Register's Science Dude reports. We should see waves starting at approximately 8:37 a.m. Beaches are closed, but no evacuations have been ordered.
UPDATE, MARCH 11, 1:19 A.M.: Never mind. According to the National Weather Service Forecast office, a tsunami warning has been issued for the coastal areas of California and Oregon from Point Concepcion to the Oregon-Washington border. See the entire warning after the jump.
ORIGINAL ITEM, MARCH 11, 12:40 A.M.: While a tsunami watch has been issued for most of the Pacific--including Hawaii, Taiwan, Guam, Russia and the Philippines--officials have not yet issued a warning for the California coast, according to the Los Angeles Times.
It's predicted that a wave could hit Hawaii at 4:59 a.m. PST.
TSUNAMI MESSAGE NUMBER 4
NWS WEST COAST/ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER PALMER AK
1244 AM PST FRI MAR 11 2011
THIS MESSAGE UPDATES THE ALERT STATUS TO WARNING AND ADVISORY.
- A TSUNAMI WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT WHICH INCLUDES THE COASTAL AREAS OF CALIFORNIA AND OREGON FROM POINT CONCEPCION CALIFORNIA TO THE OREGON-WASHINGTON BORDER...
- A TSUNAMI WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT WHICH INCLUDES THE COASTAL AREAS OF ALASKA FROM AMCHITKA PASS ALASKA/125 MILES W OF ADAK/ TO ATTU ALASKA...
- THE TSUNAMI ADVISORY IS EXPANDED TO INCLUDE THE COASTAL AREAS OF CALIFORNIA FROM THE CALIFORNIA-MEXICO BORDER TO POINT CONCEPCION CALIFORNIA...
- THE TSUNAMI ADVISORY IS EXPANDED TO INCLUDE THE COASTAL AREAS OF WASHINGTON - BRITISH COLUMBIA AND ALASKA FROM THE OREGON-WASHINGTON BORDER TO CHIGNIK BAY ALASKA...
- THE TSUNAMI ADVISORY CONTINUES IN EFFECT FOR THE COASTAL AREAS OF ALASKA FROM CHIGNIK BAY ALASKA TO AMCHITKA PASS ALASKA/125 MILES W OF ADAK/...
A TSUNAMI HAS BEEN GENERATED WHICH IS EXPECTED TO CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE WARNING AND/OR ADVISORY REGIONS LISTED IN THE HEADLINE. PERSONS IN LOW-LYING COASTAL AREAS SHOULD BE ALERT TO INSTRUCTIONS FROM THEIR LOCAL EMERGENCY OFFICIALS. EVACUATIONS ARE ONLY ORDERED BY EMERGENCY RESPONSE AGENCIES.
- PERSONS IN TSUNAMI WARNING COASTAL AREAS SHOULD MOVE INLAND TO HIGHER GROUND.
- PERSONS IN TSUNAMI ADVISORY COASTAL AREAS SHOULD MOVE OUT OF THE WATER... OFF THE BEACH AND OUT OF HARBORS AND MARINAS.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Orange County, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.