- Parade rejects float: A Huntington Beach panel gave a thumbs-down to an Independence Day entry celebrating the desegregation of state schools, saying the theme didn't have "entertainment value."
- Paying for parking lot rage: A Costa Mesa man was sentenced to 15 years in prison yesterday after running down a former high school football coach in an Aliso Viejo parking lot.
- One sick puppy: A pet shop owner in Lynwood has been accused of torturing animals in his care—allegedly performing surgery on some without anesthesia and depriving others of food.
- We're sorry we spent your money: Boy Scout officials who spent the organization's money on an extravagant trip to Key West sent out letters to 40,000 members apologizing for "mistakes."
- Murder in Anaheim: Anaheim slayings are apparently pretty common—the Times recently devoted an entire section to the subject.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Orange County, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.