Tony Rackauckas Seeks Reelection as District Attorney, and We Look Back at His First Year
Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas recently announced he'll seek re-election this year, setting himself up for a fifth term as the region's top prosecutor.
But before that, on March 18, he celebrates his 71st birthday. Obviously, the world has changed much during those 71 years, but just look at some of what happened in the DA's first year on Earth.
1) On the day he was born, the American Steam merchant the James Oglethorpe, on her maiden voyage from New York to Liverpool, was struck by a torpedo fired by a German U-boat and sank. Forty-four on board died and 30 survived.
2) An assassination attempt on Adolf Hitler failed.
Los Angeles Angels vs. Seattle Mariners
TicketsFri., Jun. 30, 7:07pm
New Japan Pro Wrestling - G1 Special In The USA
TicketsSat., Jul. 1, 5:00pm
Orange County Soccer Club vs. Portland Timbers 2
TicketsSat., Jul. 1, 7:00pm
Los Angeles Temptation vs. Pittsburgh Rebellion
TicketsSat., Jul. 8, 7:00pm
3) Frank Nitti, the Chicago Outfit boss after Al Capone, committed suicide at the Chicago Central Railyard.
4) Dr. Albert Hofmann discovered the psychedelic effects of LSD.
6) A mob of 60 from the Los Angeles Naval Reserve Armory beat up everyone perceived to be Latino, starting the week-long Zoot Suit Riots.
7) Lieutenant John F. Kennedy's boat PT-109 sank at Solomon Islands.
8) General George S. Patton slapped a U.S. GI in a hospital, accusing him of cowardice. He did the same to a second serviceman a short time later.
9) The Batman & Robin comic strip premiered in newspapers.
10) Casablanca was named Best Picture at the 16th Academy Awards.
Here's looking at you, T-Rack.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Orange County, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.