Thursday's Headlines. No Surprises: Last of the Rat Pack
- Last of the Rat Pack: Newport Beach resident Joey Bishop, the last surviving member of the Rat Pack, dies at 89. Coverage: Times, Register.
- Anti-Semitic UCI probe still on: Yesterday, the Daily Pilot reported that the Hillel Foundation of Orange County called off its investigation of racist activity at UC Irvine. Today, the DP's Joseph Serna reports that the task force the organization assigned to do the job was not consulted about dropping the probe. Task force chairman Jesse Rosenblum says he intends to continue even without Hillel's support.
- Update on pet shop owners from hell story: In August, OCW's Amanda Parsons blogged about Village Pets in Santa Ana, where animal control officers "found 56 dogs, 22 rabbits, six cats, and one guinea pig suffering from various conditions including scabies, dehydration and respiratory infections." Today, the Register reports that shop owner Shahram Behafarin and her son were charged with misdemeanors for one count of animal abuse by a caretaker, two counts of animal neglect, and four counts of failure to provide care to pet shop animals.
- Disney Dizzy: The Times has three stories on California Adventure up today, including a column by Dana Parsons, who reviewed the park in 2001 and "immediately consigned it to the dustbin of amusement parks. Not enough fun stuff to do and too expensive -- $43 -- to do it." Admission is now at $66.
- Drake Speaks: Still got questions about the Michael V. Drake/Erwin Chemerinsky deal? Ambush the UCI Chancellor tonight at 7 at the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center at UCI, where Drake will discuss "The Health Status of Americans: Challenges and Opportunities.''
- Tonight at 6: The Fullerton Market hosts "Okto-BOO-fest," with pumpkin carving, a costume contest, live band and more. Details here.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Orange County, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.