Michael Clemmons
Michael Clemmons

The Other Cleat Drops in Case of Football Players and Friend Videotaping Rape of Passed-Out Woman

In "Sex, Crimes and Videotape," Clockwork told you about former Santa Ana City College football player Michael Alexander Clemmons, 20, of Tustin, and his former Tustin High School classmate John Paul Foster II, 23, of Seaside in Monterey County, pleading guilty Sept. 24 to charges of raping an intoxicated 18-year-old woman in a Tustin motel and videotaping their crimes.

The other cleat has dropped as a second former player with the Santa Ana Dons--Luster Mitchell Lewis, 21, of Irvine--pleaded guilty in the case, and all three men were sentenced to six years behind bars.

The three men had become friends at Tustin High School before Foster moved to Monterey County and Lewis and Clemmons joined the Dons' roster. But Foster would come down and visit his friends occasionally.

That's what happened in July 2008 when the trio was partying in a room at the Key Inn in Tustin. The 18-year-old woman was "highly intoxicated," according to the Orange County District Attorney's Office, when she was dropped off at the motel by a mutual friend who asked Clemmons, Foster and Lewis to look after her.

To say they failed is an understatement.

While the young woman was, as the DA put it, "unconscious, incapacitated and unable to resist due to intoxication," Foster videotaped the duration of the sexual assault. Lewis removed her clothes and moved her from the bed to the floor so he and Clemmons could repeatedly rape, orally copulate and digitally penetrate her. One of the fine, upstanding gentlemen ejaculated onto her face, and Foster joined in the sexual assault by rubbing his penis against her face while holding the video camera and then, handing the camera to another defendant, Foster pissed on her. Throughout the rape, the woman never awoke, despite Clemmons and Lewis slapping her in the face, ordering her to wake up and holding her nose closed in an attempt to suffocate her into consciousness. The brutally graphic 21-minute tape the men made was found by someone on Dec. 28, 2008, and turned over to Tustin Police, who eventually showed it to the woman, who had been unaware of the assault due to her intoxication.

During sentencing today, the victim's mother said her daughter had been permanently scarred by the "sadistic" acts, suffering from emotional issues and an inability to trust. When she woke up the morning after the assault, the men refused to drive her home, leaving her to take the bus, her mother said.

The trio pleaded guilty to four felony counts of rape of a person unable to resist due to an intoxicating substance, one felony count of sexual penetration by foreign object of a person unable to resist due to an intoxicating substance, and three felony counts of oral copulation of a person unable to resist due to an intoxicating substance.


All-access pass to the top stories, events and offers around town.

  • Top Stories


All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >