Calling all college students: Have you ever dreamed of a career that offers little pay, long hours and little (positive) recognition? Then boy, is modern journalism the job for you! The Weekly will help you get your foot in the door and clips under your belt with a fall internship.
We currently have two available for the fall semester: photo intern and multimedia intern.
As a photo intern, you'll report to our Art Director. Some of your responsibilities include:
- Taking photos for a weekly print food review.
- Taking photos for our chef interviews to run in print and online.
- Taking photos of our drink of the week.
- Take two weekly photo slideshows of local concerts, news, food and cultural events. These slideshows will be usually tailored to your interests as a photographer so pitch, pitch, pitch.
- Maintain a professional demeanor with the restaurants and events you take pictures of.
You will report to our Web Editor. This internship will prepare you for the ever changing world of journalism. This is a multi-faceted internship that will train you to be a multi-talented journalist.
- You will learn successful social media marketing.
- You'll learn search engine optimization including effective headline writing.
- You will be responsible for taking photos for one slideshow weekly.
- You'll learn how to create a photo slideshow.
- You will be responsible for helping video production based on qualifications.
- You'll learn basic website layout protocol.
- You will be responsible for writing news, music and food blogs.
Now that you know the basics, take a peek around our website. Photo interns should take a look at our food reviews
restaurant listings and slideshows
. Web interns should follow us on our Facebook
accounts and also check out our slideshows and YouTube
account to get a sense of what we are looking for in an intern.
The fine print: We are unable to offer cash compensation for your efforts. You must enroll in a college internship program to qualify. Your internship will start when your semester begins and conclude when the semester ends. We are unable to supply photo equipment for you. You must have reliable transportation. Our offices are located in Costa Mesa.
If you think you got what it takes email us at:
Photo Internship: Email Laila at [laila at oc weekly dot com]
Multimedia Internship: Email Taylor at [tahamby at oc weekly dot com]
Follow OC Weekly on Twitter @ocweekly
or on Facebook!