Luis Javier Cervantes to Be Arraigned Today for Allegedly Trying to Kill Wife as Their Kids Slept
Luis Javier Cervantes allegedly hid in the bathroom before pouncing on his estranged wife.
Courtesy of Santa Ana Police Department
UPDATE, MAY 4, 1:26 P.M.: Luis Javier Cervantes is scheduled to be arraigned today for the attempted murder of his estranged wife as their two children slept nearby, the Orange County District Attorney's office (OCDA) announced this afternoon.
The 24-year-old Santa Ana man, who remains in custody in lieu of $1 million bail, is charged with one felony count of forcible rape, one felony count of aggravated assault, and a sentencing enhancement allegation for raping the victim during the commission of a burglary, the OCDA says. A conviction on all counts could send Cervantes to state prison for up to 29 years to life, prosecutors add. An OCDA arraignment statement adds these details to what has already been released to the media about the crime:
* After allegedly breaking into his estranged wife and two children's home while they were away, Cervantes hid in the bathroom.
* After returning home and putting the kids to bed, the mom went to the bathroom to get ready for bed herself.
NBA Preseason Basketball: Los Angeles Lakers v Sacramento Kings
TicketsTue., Oct. 4, 7:00pm
Premium Level - NBA Preseason Basketball: Lakers v Sacramento Kings
TicketsTue., Oct. 4, 7:00pm
Anaheim Ducks v. San Jose Sharks
TicketsSun., Oct. 9, 5:00pm
NBA Preseason Basketball: Los Angeles Lakers v Phoenix Suns
TicketsFri., Oct. 21, 7:00pm
* Cervantes, still hiding in the bathroom, is accused of confronting her and immediately making her undress. He is then alleged to have forcibly removed the rest of her clothes, raping her and then stabbing her three times in the head.
ORIGINAL POST, MAY 1, 12:20 P.M.: Luis Javier Cervantes--whose first and middle names have switched places since the Santa Ana Police Department advised the public he was being sought--has been arrested for the attempted murder of his estranged wife.
Police had been looking for 25-year-old Cervantes since Wednesday, when he allegedly entered the North Parton Street home of his estranged wife uninvited and when no one was home, waited for her return and, after she came home and put her 6- and 7-year-old children to bed, confronted her, police say.
An argument ensued about their marital situation before Cervantes allegedly sexually assaulted the woman, got a knife, stabbed her in the head and fled the neighborhood in her vehicle, police say. The unidentified woman suffered injuries and severe bleeding that required hospitalization.
A new statement from the Santa Ana Police Department adds this tidbit: "Cervantes told the victim he wanted to commit 'suicide by cop' and there were indications he had access to weapons."
An arrest warrant for Cervantes was obtained, and his estranged wife's vehicle was found abandoned in Anaheim around 7 p.m. Wednesday, police say.
Meanwhile, detectives developed information that Cervantes was hiding in Fullerton, and around 6:45 p.m. Thursday his location was pinpointed to a mobile home at 2616 W. Orangethorpe. That's where he was taken into custody without incident after officers demanded he come out from the mobile home.
Cervantes was booked at the Orange County Jail and held in lieu of $1 million bail on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and rape, and more counts are possible once the investigation is done, police say. Any more information the public can share should be directed to the Santa Ana Police Department at 714.245.8542.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss OC Weekly's biggest stories. Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts