Greg MacGillivray, Large-Format Filmmaker, Shares His Life and Love of the Ocean
Greg MacGillivray of MacGillivray Freeman Films in Laguna Beach shares his life story tonight at a Laguna Canyon Conservancy fundraiser. Besides his company's many achievements--which include two Oscar nominations, the highest-grossing large-screen format film of all time (Everest) and $1 billion in worldwide box office faster than any other documentary film company in the history of cinema--MacGillivray touches on his latest projects, with words and images.
Obviously near and dear to the filmmaker's heart is One World One Ocean (OWOO), a multi-platform media campaign aimed at restoring the world's oceans in 20 years. The campaign's first film will be To The Arctic 3D, which debuts in IMAX theaters April 20, was narrated by Meryl Streep and was co-produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, MacGillivray Freeman Films and IMAX Corp.
But you don't have to wait a couple more months to check out OWOO as the first five MacGillivray Freeman Films produced episodes of a new digital series dedicated to the campaign have debuted online at www.oneworldoneocean.org. They are:
- "Boat to Belly: A Sustainable Seafood Series," which documents the key players and process behind the growing sustainable seafood movement.
- "Artists & Oceans," which showcases the intersection of arts and culture and the ocean through the eyes artists.
- "Ocean Heroes," which celebrates people trying to restore oceans through their actions, big and small.
- "The Weekly Dive," an online ocean newscast targeted at young adults.
- "OWOO Field Reports," which are short pieces on scientists doing their critical work in front of large-format filmmakers during ocean expeditions.
"Our goal is for the site to become, by 2014, the top online destination for all things ocean," MacGillivray writes in an email to supporters.
Los Angeles Angels vs. Seattle Mariners
TicketsFri., Jun. 30, 7:07pm
New Japan Pro Wrestling - G1 Special In The USA
TicketsSat., Jul. 1, 5:00pm
Orange County Soccer Club vs. Portland Timbers 2
TicketsSat., Jul. 1, 7:00pm
Los Angeles Temptation vs. Pittsburgh Rebellion
TicketsSat., Jul. 8, 7:00pm
His appearance for Laguna Canyon Conservancy begins at 7 p.m. at Tivoli Terrace at the Laguna Beach Festival of the Arts grounds.
"I promise to be as comical and amusing as I'm allowed," he promises.
Attendees were supposed to have RSVPed by Saturday, but give Ed Dollinger at 949.494.6465 to see if they can squeeze you in. Meanwhile, check out these OWOO sneak peaks:
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Orange County, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.