Five Reasons to Root Against Tom Tancredo in Tomorrow's Debate in Denver
EDIT, NOV. 16, 6:30 P.M.: Watch the debate live here!
EDIT, NOV. 16, NOON: Click here to find out how to watch the debate!
After years of effort on the part Patty Calhoun--editor of Westword, our sister paper in Denver--Weekly managing editor Gustavo Arellano will debate Tom Tancredo, in Denver, on the issue of immigration.
For those who don't know, Tancredo is a former longtime Colorado congressman and loser of that state's most recent Governor's race. He has run for president as well.
He's also pretty damn far to the right on pretty much every damn political issue you could think of--except immigration, where he's every farther out than that.
Gustavo has asked his supporters (hey, that's us!) to wish him luck and says of Tancredo, "I love my haters as much as I love the people who actually like me." God speed, Gustavo.
In the meantime, don't take our word for it on Tancredo's Know Nothing extremism. Here he is, in his own words:
1. "Look at what has happened to Miami, It has become a third world country."
Tancredo to WorldNetDaily, arguing that uncontrolled immigration has changed the landscape of America and illustrating his point by citing a city whose government is dominated by Cuban-American Republicans.
2. "Take out their holy sites."
From an interview with AM talk show host Pat Campbell about how to deal with Islamic extremists. When Campbell asked if he was referring to Mecca, Tancredo replied "Yeah."
3. "I call on the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency to detain any illegal immigrants at this press conference."
Said at a press event featuring three college students whose parents came to the country illegally.
4. "These mayors have already demonstrated that their hearts and loyalties lie with Mexico--perhaps they'd feel more comfortable if their cities were located there as well."
Said in response to border towns opposing the Texas border wall.
5. "I did not serve. I could not serve, but I certainly wish that I had that opportunity."
The hawkish politician and Vietnam war supporter said this in a radio interview about not serving in the conflict. Tancredo received a 1-Y deferment from the draft board after explaining he had been treated for depression as a teenager.
For more info, check out our Tancredo vs. Arellano archives:
- Gustavo to Debate Tom Tancredo About Immigration in Denver Next Week!
- Five Reasons to Root Against Tom Tancredo in Tomorrow's Debate in Denver
- Arellano vs. Tancredo: Top 5 Highlights From Meeting Of Immigration Minds, From "Tough Crap!" to Assimilation
Arellano vs. Tancredo: Now With (Some) Video!
- Denver Westword's comprehensive Tancredo coverage
Gustavo Arellano will debate Tom Tancredo on Tuesday, Nov. 16 at 6:30 p.m. PST. Check here for details on how to watch the event live.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Orange County, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.