Cards, Roses, Condoms: 5 Fun Valentine's Day Facts
When it comes to Valentine's Day fun facts, you could turn to your friendly neighborhood florist, love doctor or pimp.
But we like to think outside the heart-shaped box.
So here, courtesy of Los Angeles-based 5W Public Relations, we present the following . . .
- LifeStyles Condoms estimates that 87 condoms are used each second in the U.S. on Valentine's Day, which also shares the date with the lesser-known National Condom Day.
- Organic Bouquet estimates that more than 200 million roses were produced for Valentine's Day 2011.
- The U.S. Census Bureau reports that only 11 percent of households celebrate by gifting each other jewelry on Valentine's.
- According to the Hallmark Corp., nearly 200 million cards are exchanged each year on Feb. 14, and that doesn't include V-Day card packs exchanged by millions of schoolchildren.
- The National Retail Federation reports that men spend nearly twice the amount women spend on the holiday.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss OC Weekly's biggest stories. Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts