Bud Bashers Gather to Demonize Legalization
Let the campaign against marijuana legalization in California begin! A coalition of clergy, law enforcement and assorted busy bodies gather under the Californians for Drug Free Youth banner in Universal City this morning to "raise awareness about the dangers of marijuana."
- Los Angeles District Attorney Steve Cooley, who wants to be your next state Attorney General;
- Gil Kerlikowske, President Obama's drug czar;
- Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca;
- Dr. Charles Sophy, medical director of the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services;
- Lupe Delgado, assistant superintendent of educational services with the Los Angeles County Office of Education;
- Retired state Sen. Nate Holden, who also served on the Los Angeles City Council;
- Kath Robi, Operations Council chair with the Los Angeles chapter of Mothers Against Drunk Driving;
- Bishop Ron Allen, president of the International Faith Based Coalition;
- Bishop Henry B. Alexander, founder of Shield of Faith Fellowship;
- Bobby Hernandez, president of the California Narcotic Officers Association;
- Alison Triessl, co-founder and CEO of Pasadena Recovery Center;
- and, John Redman, executive director of Californians for Drug Free Youth.
Their shindig begins at 10 a.m. in the Universal City Hilton's Ballroom B, so let that be a warning to wait staff to finish their, um, baking in the parking lot by 9:55.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Orange County, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.