We previously blogged about the Well Bikini Bar and Grill avoiding having its state liquor license pulled by Alcohol and Beverage Control (ABC) over the multiple shots and beers served to the drunken driver who went on to kill Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart and two others.
However, we didn't mention anything in that post about the watering hole skating past the Covina City Council, which voted unanimously this week to revoke the Well's business license and two conditional use permits.
As of Dec. 2, the bikini bar will have to close, reports the San Gabriel Valley Tribune.
No one rose to damn or defend the Well at Tuesday's council meeting, and city officials said an attorney representing the bar sent a letter indicating the business would surrender all operating rights and cease operations without challenging the city's decision if it was given 30 days to close.
"We're so relieved that this has come to closure," Covina Mayor Peggy Delach told the Trib.
However, it's not closure yet for the bar's owner, Douglas Salviniski, 49; manager Angelo Capozi, 45; and six servers. They face misdemeanor charges of operating or participating in an illegal gambling operation that came to light after a police investigation sparked by the Adenhart crash.
Fresh from a beer and shot at another bar, Andrew Thomas Gallo and his stepbrother spent April 8, 2009, at the Well where, over nearly three hours, 23-year-old Gallo drank five beers (two of them three-pint "boombahs") and four shots of a sake-like drink.
Despite previous DUI convictions, classes that warned the San Gabriel resident he could face murder charges if someone died in a crash he caused while drunk and the protests of his stepbrother, Gallo got behind the wheel of a minivan and struck a car driven by 20-year-old Courtney Stewart and carrying, 22-year-old Adenhart, 25-year-old Henry Pearson and 24-year-old Jon Wilhite. Only Wilhite, Gallo and Gallo's passenger Raymond Alexander Rivera survived.
Gallo was convicted on three counts of second-degree murder. He faces a maximum sentence of 50 years to life in prison at his sentencing scheduled for Dec. 10 in Santa Ana.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
The ABC, which licenses, monitors complaints and fines law-violating bars, restaurants and liquor stores, observed security video from the Well but determined last month there was insufficient evidence to revoke its liquor license.
- State Probe Launched of Covina Bar Where Andrew Gallo Drank Before Killing Angels Pitcher Nick Adenhart and 2 Others
But Covina Police Lt. Patrick Buchanan told the council the Well has a reputation for over-serving alcoholic drinks and that cops respond to calls there three times more than they do to similar establishments, with 142 requests for service over the past three years. Meanwhile, undercover cops received free massages while drinking at the bar, a code violation, according to Buchanan.
The city justified revocation of the business license and two conditional use permits because the establishment failed to keep alcohol sales at 35 percent of gross sales and operated an "adult cabaret" and massage parlor on the side, the Tribune reports.