Better Call Glew: Bench Warrant Blues
Jay Brockman

Better Call Glew: Bench Warrant Blues

Hi Mr. Glew,

I received a letter in the mail stating that there was a bench warrant for my arrest for failing to pay fines from a DUI I got a couple years back. I don't know how to clear this up without going into court but I'm afraid if I go to court I will get arrested.

How can I clear this up?

*See also:

Better Call Glew: Driving While Anxious

Better Call Glew: Divorce Edition

Better Call Glew: The Case of the Wanna-be Conspirator

The safest bet is to hire an attorney to go to court with you and quash the warrant. I say this because the clerk's office won't accept payments on a case that has gone to warrant. Thus, the warrant must be recalled by the judge before you can make any payment.

This is a serious situation because if you are picked up on the street, it could be very costly, as you would be taken into custody and your car, if you are driving, will most likely be impounded. Remember, police officers have the ability to see if there are any warrants for your arrest in the field, so a seemingly innocuous traffic stop can become a nightmare.

The best course of action for you to resolve this situation is to retain counsel, and if you are short on cash, many attorneys are willing to work out payment plans.

Send all questions to And remember, Better Call Glew!


All-access pass to the top stories, events and offers around town.

  • Top Stories


All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >