Friday, August 10, 2012 |
4 years ago
Dozens of arrests were carried out today following a year-long investigation dubbed Operation Halo headed by the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. The raid which, hit 54 locations including Anna Drive where unarmed resident Manuel Diaz wasshot by police last month, was aimed at the gang East Side Anaheim. The Associated Press reported that 33 people were arrested and that an additional 25 were in custody. Anaheim police Sgt. Robert Dunn told the Washingon Post that Diaz, were he alive, would have been arrested today.
A friend of Diaz, 23-year-old Rafael Brito told the Weekly he believed government agents were attempting to effect damage control and draw attention from several recent officer-involved shootings which touched off a riot last month.
"(The police) are trying to cover up the crime they did," said the Brito. "(Anna Drive residents) were defending the right of a friend whose life was taken."
Brito also said people in the small neighborhood have been rattled by aggressive police tactics.
"There were officers dressed in camouflage, (my cousin) was awakened with a flashlight and a rifle to his face."
According to ATF Spokesman Christian Hoffman, the investigation involved agents from the bureau's Santa Ana field office who worked undercover with members of the Anaheim police gang and narcotics divisions.
In addition to 38 firearms, Hoffman said undercover agents purchased 11 pounds of crystal meth valued at more than $1,000,000.