As we mentioned earlier today, tonight marks the opening of Disney's California Adventure's "ElecTRONica" attraction, which ties in with the forthcoming release of TRON: Legacy in theaters on Dec. 17.
Disney is basically selling the shindig as a dance party. It'll kick off at 6 p.m. in Sunshine Plaza with a multimedia performance, and then participants will move to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot to start grooving. "There," a Disney press release reads, "they will have the sensation of being digitized and transported into the computer mainframe world of 'TRON: Legacy.'" Sounds like you'll want to be rolling for this.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
* Buildings in Hollywood Pictures Backlot will be mapped with "TRON: Legacy" images. Light cycles will zoom across the building facades, while other dynamic images from the film fill the street.
* Before entering the studio area, guests will pass under the iconic Recognizer, the vigilant sentry on the lookout for unclassified "Programs" in the digital world of "TRON: Legacy." With smoke and lights emanating from it, this ever-watchful vehicle seems to hover above the ground as it scans those who pass below.
* At the center of the party is a DJ platform, complete with a laser beam beckoning guests of all ages to the fun. Here, professional DJs will keep the energy going with electronic party music while dancers costumed as "Sirens" and "Programs" from the movie rock out at locations throughout the party.
* Also appearing on the Backlot Stage adjoining the dance floor will be Laserman, a performer who does amazing tricks to music with impressive lasers and light.
* Near the dance floor, guests will find a re-creation of Flynn's Video Arcade, a key location in the adventure of "TRON: Legacy." At Flynn's, gamers will shoot for the highest scores as they enjoy classic 1980s arcade games. Outside the Arcade, guests will be able to play the unreleased "TRON: Evolution" video games for popular home consoles, and take part in a nightly tournament. The new video games, which feature the iconic light cycles and light discs in stories that bridge the gap between the two TRON films, will be released on December 7.
* Guests will get an extended glimpse of the upcoming film at "TRON: Legacy, Exclusive 3D Sneak Peek" (presented in the venue which, by day, houses Muppet*Vision 3D). The 3D preview has special effects exclusive to this theater.
* Guests will be able to purchase food from a specially-themed food truck, along with glowing alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages at the End of Line Club, inspired by an iconic new location in the world of "TRON: Legacy."
Glowing alcoholic beverages? Yes. Probably for a reasonable price, too, like $24.99 a pop. The event runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday night each week this fall, all of Thanksgiving week (Nov. 19 through 28), and every night between Dec. 17 and Jan. 2. Disney expects it to continue through April 2011.