Jenny Lewis knows one way to make a music video go viral: feature a handful of celebrity starlets... disguised as dudes. Lewis debuted 'Just One Of The Guys' this week as the first single from her upcoming album, The Voyager. The song is an ode to womanly woes, like the figurative ticking of the biological clock. The music video features Anne Hathaway, Brie Larson, Kristen Stewart and Tennessee Thomas as crossdressers who wear terrible Bieber tracksuits.
Lewis softly croons at a languid speed that channels Mazzy Star's Hope Sandoval: "No matter how hard I try, to be just one of the guys / There's a little something inside that won't let me / No matter how hard I try to have an open mind / There's a little clock inside that keeps tickin'..."
The video prompted us to reminisce about other artists who have incorporated celebrity cameos into their music videos in the past.
Now, before you get all Internet-troll-like on us, please note that we refused to include "cameos" of actors who were not yet famous at the time of the video release, ie: Courteney Cox in Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark" or Alicia Silverstone in any video for Aerosmith. Opinions are subjective, but our list is not. These really are the best cameos, and most will put a goofy smile on your face. Drum roll please...
Here are the Top 12 Celebrity Cameos in a Music Video:
12. Elton John - "I Want Love" (2001) Featuring Robert Downey Jr. in his first post-rehab "acting" gig:
11. Paul Simon - "You Can Call Me Al" (1986) Featuring Chevy Chase giving a glorified lip-sync performance:
10. Lit - "Miserable" (2000) Featuring Pamela Anderson wearing stripper heels in a modern take on Attack of the 50 Foot Woman.
9. Weezer - "Perfect Situation" (2005) Featuring Elisha Cuthbert as a bitchy diva who won't tolerate brown M&Ms.
8. Tom Petty - "Into the Great Wide Open" (1991) A Hollywood melodrama featuring Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Anwar, Faye Dunaway with an appearance by Matt LeBlanc.7. Sigur Ros - "Fjögur píanó" (2011)
Featuring Shia LeBeouf in an artsy softcore porn... sorta? NSFW, Folks.
6. The White Stripes - "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" (2003) Featuring Kate Moss as a pole dancer, as directed by Sophia Coppola. (Also NSFW, dependent upon where you work).
5. Jenny Lewis - "Just One Of The Guys" (2014) Featuring Anne Hathaway, Brie Larson, Kristen Stewart and Tennessee Thomas as crossdressers. Can we borrow that dreamy, pastel rainbow suit, please?!
4. Rufus Wainwright - "Out Of The Game" (2012) Featuring Helena Bonham Carter as a repressed librarian waiting for a mattress to be delivered...3. Beastie Boys - "Make Some Noise" (2011)
A video featuring an eclectic group of funny faces: Rashida Jones, Will Arnett, Rainn Wilson, Jason Schwartzman, Mary Steenburgen, Ted Danson, Amy Poehler, Steve Buscemi, Chloë Sevigny, Maya Rudolph, Kirsten Dunst, David Cross, Orlando Bloom, Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, and Jack Black.
2. Fatboy Slim - "Weapon of Choice" (2001) Featuring Christopher Walken's mad dance skills.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. Michael Jackson- "Liberian Girl" (1987) Featuring a laundry list of celebs: Beverly Johnson, Malcolm-Jamal Warner, Sherman Hemsley, Brigitte Nielsen, Paula Abdul, Carl Weathers, Whoopi Goldberg, Quincy Jones, Jackie Collins, Amy Irving, Jasmine Guy, Rosanna Arquette, Lou Diamond Phillips, Olivia Newton-John, John Travolta, Corey Feldman, Steven Spielberg, Debbie Gibson, Rick Schroder, Blair Underwood, "Weird Al" Yankovic, Suzanne Somers, Lou Ferrigno, Don King, Mayim Bialik, Virginia Madsen, David Copperfield, Billy Dee Williams, Richard and Emily Dreyfuss, Danny Glover, Olivia Hussey, Dan Aykroyd, Steve Guttenberg.